1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio, newspaper, and my ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CanzanoJohn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice rant, Joe.

Still enjoying the 1980s, are you?

2. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Canzano,

Actually, your show might promote the newspaper. How it would promote the content, I haven't a clue. I don't see how radio might elevate the written word.

Lucky for you that the evolution of the business (and, I guess, the ethics of the business) times out with this chance to do the show. Don't take a free parking space, whatever you do.

YHS, etc

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!

Are you referring back to when William Randolph Hearst's sensationalism begot the term "yellow journalism"?

4. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Canzano,

One point: The idea about writing books with people we cover.

I'm sure that wasn't intended as a smear of book-writing folk. I wouldn't do an authorized book or an as-told-to with anyone I cover. I might write about athletes, coaches, whatever, whom I cover but not as an authorized enterprise, not as a product of a business arrangement with them. The misgivings I've expressed about your gig would be the same I'd feel about someone on a beat doing an as-told-to. I've had offers to ghost and turned them down. About, not with. An immense difference. Your radio station is on its face a with situation, no matter how many room dividers you put into place.

YHS, etc

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

And...Joe Williams gets the first deletion on this thread.

Hey man, you're dishing it out, gotta take it.

Keep it clean, folks.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Gotta love the mother comebacks, though.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will say this, without commenting on the mass of vitriol here: Mr. Canzano coming on here and offering information despite some of the things that got said about him shows an admirable ethos, in my humble opinion.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WFW. I still don't agree with his decision, but I certainly respect his coming here to ... maybe defend isn't the right word ... explain it.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

So why is it guy's ethics get questioned when he takes a radio gig in his own market, but a columnist who writes for major websites (the people who are supposedly killing the newspaper business) as well as his own newspaper is hailed on this board all the time as one of the great voices?
    Is there no conflict of interest in devoting as much (or maybe more) time to becoming a "national voice" on a major website, perhaps at the expense of what you're providing the readers of the newspaper that made you a columnist and also is paying you quite well?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I think that would be another topic, spnited. We can't debate one unless we simultaneously debate all?

Frankly, I don't even know who you're referring to, since I don't have a long history here. But you know where I stand: Day job ought to be enough, unless you're Red Smith looking around for something to do with your 41st hour every week. And a national Web site is definitely competition with your local paper Web site.

And for the record, my post was "clean". Just an analogy: Either you follow some widely accepted standards or you don't.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What widely accepted standards, Oedipus?

In case you hadn't noticed, the business is changing rather dramatically -- especially in appearing in different platforms.

Would you beef with the guy if he decided to coach a Little League team? That may cut into his "4o-hour" work week, too.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Or the Chicago Tribune/Chicago Cubs?

Draft saved Draft deleted