1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio, newspaper, and my ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CanzanoJohn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Is this the part where you explain to all of us how the real world works?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

They work for me.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

People in the journalism community and out of it are going to question your ethics or not based on their perceptions of what constitutes ethics. Ultimately, you're the one who has to live with what you decide for yourself. None of us can make any decisions for you either way.

If your sense of ethics prevents you from working at both the Oregonian and the radio station, don't do it. If you believe you can truly put your all into both gigs and do so ethically, go for it.

It says a lot about you that you're willing to post on this forum and take whatever heat you're facing. Many folks wouldn't do that. We may not be unanimous in our views about whether you're doing the right thing or not, but ultimately, we don't matter. If you think what you're doing is wrong, you only make it worse by continuing to do so.

4. JackS

JackS Member

I find it hilarious that the article you link contains these two paragraphs...

There's City Council president Nick Licata, who told Sports Illustrated that the Sonics give Seattle "near zero" economic or cultural value.

There's Chris Van Dyk, his "Citizens for More Important Things" and other grassroots efforts that railed against subsidizing millionaire owners and players.

You're right, the columnist nailed it. He found two people who put sports in proper perspective. "Citizens for More Important Things." Thanks for proving my point...I rest my case.

P.S. I'll take your answer on SI to mean we've currently got one sports reporter tied up on the China issue. Overwhelming indeed.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You must have missed this part:

"That taxpayer-funded $220 million KeyArena renovation that's spawned a citywide apoplectic fit? Not good enough. Bennett will demand a brand spanking new arena, one that figures to cost at least $400 million."

Anything taking that big a chunk of public funding actually has lots of value and lots of relevence.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Been weird to me, too, bot for the opposite reason. I can't believe people can't see the obvious problem with this.

As for your examples, I haven't cried conflict about the Globe or NYDN writers because I don't live in Boston or NY and had no idea that was happening. Assuming it is, that's wrong, too. I'm not a fan of Whitlock's, but working for a station that broadcasts a team's game is not an issue for me. The problem comes in when you take money from someone you cover.

Perhaps conflicts are truly unavoidable. But that doesn't mean you should jump into them when you don't have to.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of us around here consider Jason Whitlock a god. The only god I know ain't on SportsJournalists.com.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You sure about that?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jesus was here for a while, but he got tired of people trying to draft off his heat...

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

He was on fiyah.

11. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I guess when you're seven for seven on your little unethical example list, somebody with admirable principles would have no choice but to stun you.

12. I certainly see how this situation creates the appearance of impropriety.

But the harsh rebukes coming from so many corners are really surprising me.

Apparently, I'm to believe all those up on the high horse have never...

-Played golf at a media function

-Gotten a free meal or any free food or drink of any kind, even something as innocuous as a bottle of water or one slice of pizza

-Received or been sent in the mail any piece of swag, no matter how chintzy or trivial

And hey, while we're at it, let's throw in those parking passes. If you didn't pay to park, why, that puts you right in the pocket of the people running the event.

I'm sorry but I don't see how any of the above taint one's ethics. I don't play golf but I've done lots of 2 and 3--so have most sports journalists I know.

And guess what? Not ONCE have I said, "Gosh, I really need to drop the hammer on them in this story. But they fed me so I won't."

If that makes me an unethical slimeball in the eyes of some of you, then I guess I'm an unethical slimeball.

That being said, there's a difference between a free meal and an 80k salary to do a radio show.

Draft saved Draft deleted