1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio, newspaper, and my ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CanzanoJohn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And the ASNE group, too? And many, many newspaper's ethics policies? Credibility is one advantage that newspapers, if they stay professional, can have in the media marketplace. They traditionally don't let their journalists do commercials, and they traditionally don't let journalists have financial relationships with people they cover.

If you and the burglar are both feeding the watch dog, burglar's going to have a pretty easy time of knocking over your house.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

80,000 damn good reasons for Canzano to defend himself. The dooleyfish translation of any of the apologias would be, "Getting mine/his, screw the implications."

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

This is between Canzano, the Oregonian and the radio station. If all three are comfortable with the arrangement and the parameters, then I think everyone on this board needs to drink a tall frosty glass of STFU.
    I'd take Canzano's ethics any day over a number of columnists (Albom and Mariotti, to name two). Canzano's ethics are his ethics, not mine or anyone else's. There's a bunch of stone throwers in glass cubicles. The list of journalists _ sports and news _ who have not violated an ethic of some kind _ would fit on a grain of rice. Those who are bitching about Canzano are effing hypocrites.

4. dooley_womack1

Oh, and there's no reason a reporter or columnist has to be on the radio. And how nice of mizzou to keep the little folk stocked with swag.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That seemed a bit over the top to me.

Most of us (Joe and Mizzou excluded) are having a healthy conversation. No need to come in with a flamethrower.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

And then there are the holier than thou folks on this board with posts in the 10s of thousands who seem to have nothing better to do than tell other people how to lead their professional lives.
    Now THAT is fucking heartbreaking, kids.

7. dooley_womack1

Yeah, shotglass and byh, stop being holier than thou. But sock, don't fuck with the Jesus.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

IJAG:
    Jeez, that sure doesn't seem like a flamethrower when considering the posts that have been made nailing Canzano to the cross.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Maybe I am wrong. I click around a lot, and maybe some of the other inflammatory stuff has faded as the day has gone on. If I read the whole thread through from the beginning, maybe I would see it differently.

But it just seemed like it was a machine gun for a slingshot's job.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Isn't Sockpuppet the one who argued 9/11 was a government conspiracy, or was that someone else?

11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Dooley, go warm up in the bullpen. We need a closer.

Jesus is just all right with me, Dools. Joe Williams, now that's another matter.

12. dooley_womack1

Nah, I think he argued that Triumph was part of the international conspiracy to bring the pets.com mascot down.

Draft saved Draft deleted