1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio jackass suspended for moronic Erin Andrews tweets

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 21, 2013.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well played.

2. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

I'm surprised he got suspended, frankly. Immediately after he went on that twitter rant, the station's programming director (who is also the afternoon drive-time host) called Sileo and talked to him on the air. Didn't seem too concerned about what he was saying. Him and his co-host basically spent the whole time laughing with Sileo and then tossing in "I don't know what's wrong with you" comments.

It was a pretty disappointing display, all things considered.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Again - why hire shock jocks and ask them to push the envelope and be "cutting edge" and say over the top things - then fire them when they do?

Every time I hear one of these stories - about a shock jock stepping into something like this and getting fired I always say "are all the people responsible for hiring him getting fired as well?"

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. It's like when a controversial guest (like a Maher or Coulter) - who is promoted endlessly as such - says something that gets them "banned" from a show.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That's a very good point.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would support wholesale firings of people who perpetuate this stupidity.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Andrews is a solid sideline reporter.

Just please, PLEASE keep her away from the anchor desk.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Not only that, 21, but even if it didn't attract shitheads, there's a chance he'd be on the air. See most conservative talk show hosts who thoroughly suck, yet keep their jobs because the parent company wants/needs tax breaks, has money invested in gold, is eternally afraid of the Fairness Doctrine being reinstated, etc.

Radio, at this point, is little more than a plaything of a few rich kingmakers. The FM side is a clown show.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It used to be the immature misogynist loudmouth meatheads we went to high school with wound up living at home til they were 35 then died alone and friendless.

Now they wind up with sports talk radio shows and 10,000 twitter followers.

Not sure that's progress.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder if the whole point is to get pub for the station involved.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Especially as some markets keep recycling the same old radio personalities. They get fired, eventually work at three local competitors and then return to the initial station, where they get fired again.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A solid sideline reporter is like a healthy appendix.

Doesn't harm you. But not needed at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted