1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio guys

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Sep 19, 2008.

1. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

So I hop in my truck a minute ago to grab something at a nearby convenient store and decide to turn on the radio to see how the old alma mater is doing. The thing is, my hometown doesn't have a private radio station. The only station left is at the local college. Got to say the two guys calling the action are so bad that it's really entertaining to listen to. Some of their hilarious mannerisms:

•A defensive pass interference call has them waiting to see if its a first down. (Guess they didn't know that's an automatic first down.)

•Referring to the local team as "our boys."

•Never knowing the kids' names (even for the home team). You get things like "Number 21 for the five-yard pick up."

• etc.

Anybody have local radio guys this bad in your area?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Does anybody not have local radio guys that bad?

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I love the broadcasts:

1, Where the phone line hum threatens to drown out the play-by-play;
    2, Where THEY DON'T EVER DO A TIME AND SCORE CHECK. Ever.
    3, Where the microphone is positioned in such a way that you'd need a CIA super computer to pull the broadcaster's voice out of the general background babble in the press box.

Which is to say, most of them.

4. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: this is a skill I completely lack, so I probably shouldn't be pitching rocks from the cover of my glass house ...

The local guy isn't bad. He's been doing it for a long time, and he also used to cover the team for our paper, so he can string words together reasonably well.

Have to admit the unintentional comedy factor was high with a couple of the other broadcasts I've heard this season, though. No problems with cheering in the press box here, but I still need to work on the uncontrollable giggling.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

When I did local radio, we made a big effort to make it sound good. There was no phone hum on away games, we used the RF transmitter for the home games and, at least when I was behind the mic, there was no homer feel to it. Now, we had three AAAAA schools in the county, and we used three teams, one with a guy that "supported" that school. Made people happy in the county.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Our sports editor does the hockey broadcasts for one of the local university teams. He works harder at that than he does at his real job.
    Problem: He's got, perhaps not a speech impediment or a stutter, but he certainly doesn't enunciate well.
    I have a problem with the conflict of interest it creates when he clearly supports one local school over the other, but he apparently doesn't...

7. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Radio guys, ha ha. Slow night on the topic board. What Inky said. Often what Henry said, too.

8. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I'd give those college guys some leniency. In college I called play-by-play for seemingly every sport except soccer and crew. I did it because I loved it and wanted to do it as a career while the five or six other guys I managed were out there for the free press passes and to be, as one guy put it, "like those guys on sportscenter."

Sure they said "we" when referring to Our State College.
    Sure they cheered when the "other guys" lost.

But, the way I looked at it. They weren't professionals, they didn't have to be. Besides, someone had to please the hometown audience.

9. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

My all-time favorite YouTube vid:

10. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

These guys have been doing this for years. They're not students.

11. Honestly, what you described wouldn't even make the list with some of the fuckups in my area.
    I heard a long touchdown run tonight for the "other" team. They never said the length of the run, what it made the score, how much time was left or even the name, number or position of the ball carrier.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

How do you know it even happened? Was it just dead air?

Draft saved Draft deleted