1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist Simpsons?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigpern23, Mar 4, 2007.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Watching the Simpsons tonight I was struck by what looked to me to be a pretty racist shot.

At one point Lisa is teaching Cletus the Slack Jawed Yokel's kids and decides to take them on a field trip. When they ask him if it's OK, he's in the process of hanging a raccoon with a noose from a tree. He was pretty much lynching a "coon."

They didn't make a joke out of it or anything, so instead looking satirical, it struck me as simply a bit of racist imagry.

Later on in the show, they referred to the kids as Sharecropper Showstoppers.

I don't know. It all seemed out of character for the show. Am I being too sensitive?

2. pallister

pallister Guest

They should just stick to making fun of stupid white people.

On a related note, it's apparently redneck night on Fox with Simpsons and Family Guy.

3. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

The Simpsons is still on???

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I didn't think it was any worse than the Chinese couple going into their "fake" Chinese talk when Homer came by. :p

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I disagree. That was a satirical piece, basically commenting on how Homer stereotypes asians (and these two happily oblige the idiot so that he'll dump some money in their bar). The hanging of the raccoon didn't seem to be satirical at all. They didn't make a point of making a joke out of it. It was simply put in there and left alone.

Something about lynching a 'coon without trying to make any social commentary out of it (something The Simpsons have been quite adept at over the years) bothered me.

I don't know.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Again. The Simpsons are still on?

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, this discussion didn't emit outrage. Which wouldn't happen on here unless they made fun of gays.

Gee if that happened, who would be the one to be fired, Homer Simpson or Matt Groening?

8. You fucking fool. They did an entire episode devoted to the subject at least five years ago. Do you know anything, or do you just fling your own shit and hope it sticks?

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Five years ago? Certainly I'd believe you'd document it. That subject is YOUR passion.

I guess no harm, no foul. Homer is still working, is apparently straight, and Groening is swimming in cash.

10. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

It was season 8, which was like 10 years ago. They had John Waters as a guest and Homer took Bart to a gay steel mill.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

We work hard, we play hard.

You know, honest to goodness truth: I was about to post that somewhere in their log cabin, Hondo and Yawn saw the title to this thread and suddenly had an unusual urge to watch The Simpsons. "Maybe it's better than we gave it credit for," Hondo said as he stroked Yawn's hair.

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That reinforces my take Clever.

I mean, Ellis certainly has these items documented for one of those organizations that just LOVES to be offended.

Draft saved Draft deleted