1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He sure as heck wouldn’t say that about baseball nowadays.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

So true.

Although when my son did a "prom proposal" last year, it was only after the girl had agreed to go with him. All the better to stage it — and see what type of candy she likes to put on the sign ...

(or it could have been that potential prom date No. 1 turned him down!)

Glad I went to high school in the late 1980s.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I can't imagine doing this blind - to make a big spectacle, and then she says no; or had just been asked an hour before by the starting point guard.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I did my real proposal after the girl had already agreed to marry me. We picked out the ring together and all. I suspect that's pretty typical, though.

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This is true. If you're going for shock humour, you can't be shocked when people are shocked.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

By the way, this cotton joke is much along the lines of the tweet that destroyed Justine Sacco—the one about how she didn't really have to worry about getting AIDS in Africa, because she's white.

This Is How A Woman's Offensive Tweet Became The World's Top Story

You could argue, and I would argue, that her joke was more a commentary on white privilege than it was racist against blacks.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think we've definitely reached a point where people are unable to, or refuse to, aknowledge the difference between a racial joke and a racist joke.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We crossed that Rubicon a long time ago, though.
    The content the message, the context of the message and the intent of the message sender are no longer relevant.
    The only things that are relevant now are the perceptions and feelings of the message receivers.
    We're 20-years-plus down this road as a society.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I also want to reiterate that racist statements are considered much worse now than racist actions.
    Sterling wasn't kicked out of the NBA for the racist actions he committed as a property owner and landlord. He was kicked out of the NBA for making racist statements.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Destroyed might be too strong of a word. Not only did she somehow manage to work her way back into a decent PR gig, she is now back with a subsidiary of the same company that fired her.

Justine Sacco, the PR exec who was fired from IAC for her tweets, has landed back at IAC’s Match Group

11. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am glad sacco is back on her feet. Again, not fair.

I did not like, however, the woman who gave the finger to the tomb of the unknown soldier.

I feel that promboy and Sacco tried to make a joke, and it missed it's mark.

The Fuck You to the quiet sign was going for complete shock value.

Draft saved Draft deleted