1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If that's for real, that is awesome.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You raise a good point regarding how teenagers today see racial humor. I've heard teenagers say awful things to one another. My daughter will often report some funny comment by a classmate that makes me cringe. That said, it's not her saying those things. (Or if it is, she at least knows better than to say it in front of me.) She does understand what is appropriate and what is not.

Sometimes, people make jokes about Jewish people in front of her. Some of them are directed at her. She laughs it off, but I always wonder if the kid in the minority is accepting such comments not because they think it's okay, but because they are afraid to speak up.

The kid in this case may not be a racist, but he absolutely showed very poor judgement. I don't think the context would change that.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

5. typefitter

I've made jokes that, taken out of context or said in front of a different audience, would see my life and loved ones destroyed.

6. Dick Whitman

7. typefitter

I will be forever grateful that the first 21 years of my life came before the Internet was invented.

matt_garth, Stoney, Batman and 3 others like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Prom-posals begat grand orchestrated marriage proposals begat gender-reveal events.

Everything has to be public now.

wicked and Donny in his element like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Down deep, a lot of people are scared shitless of dying a nobody.

wicked and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think from middle school through high school, I said, "that is so gay" every single day. I am a horrible horrible person.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I proposed to the future Mrs. Webb on New Year's Eve. We were hiking in the mountains of North Georgia, and the only people who witnessed it were two of our friends and her dog. (Our friends had no idea it was coming, but I had to get the dog's blessing.)

Because she is younger than me and enjoys the social media quite a bit more, I was worried that not having someone film it and being out of wireless range was going to put damper on things for her. She had to wait a whole TWO HOURS for us to finish our hike before she could post it on Facebook. But dammit, I was the one shelling out for a fancy ring. It was going to be on my terms.

Sidenote: I'm extremely glad no one was filming because my "plan" went to hell immediately and apparently I raced through the proposal like an auctioneer on crack. There are just some stories that are better told than watched.

I Should Coco and FileNotFound like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted