1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I withhold judgment until the world's first fully formed human male weighs in.

(I assume he has me on "Ignore," though.)

2. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Why would I have you on ignore?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Define "new."

I asked my prom date to go with me while sitting at McDonald's during our school lunch hour (we had an open campus back then, so it was a mad race to get to the nearest fast food joint and back in 45 minutes). But, then again, it was 1986.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

My son texted his intended. She said yes. We didn’t know about it until weeks later when he needed money to buy the tickets. Still no sight of the whole deal anywhere on social media.

I am extremely proud.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

It’s so easy to say it’s a joke when you’re in the majority; and you wonder why no progress is made
    As long as you keep making excuses for behavior it will continue

PaperClip529 and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

This is like the Bill Clinton-Ted Kennedy discussion. We have no context for this. For all we know, it's an inside joke at the school that all the black kids are joyously in on. Again, this gets mocked here when I say it, but a lot of times over-the-top racist jokes are not to be taken at face value, but are actually meant to lampoon over-the-top racist stereotypes.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fair 'nuff. The internet is probably going to get their pound of flesh out of the guy. What else would you like to see happen to him?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I posted one on Instagram a while back that I'm trying to figure out how to post here

9. Dick Whitman

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Anyone else remember saying things like, "You are out of your cotton-picking mind," when they were little kids, and not having a clue where it derived from?

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yep. My mom said it all the time. I don't think she knows where it came from, to be honest.

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted