1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist "prom-posal"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 24, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I disagree but I'm not fighting a Texas Death Match over it.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've seen mommies of kindergartners and first-graders boast about their child's little girlfriend or boyfriend or crush and people just go ga-ga for it. We never even talk about that stuff in our house. It's well-understood it will wait for later in life. When my daugher talks about being "pretty," I steer the conversation elsewhere.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Are promposals a new thing? Not sure, but I do remember a story of Brad Pitt asking a girl to the prom by walking it out in the snow outside the school. She said no. Undaunted, I did something similar by peeing a proposal in the snow in the mid 1990s. I got the same answer.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Exactly. I’m pretty sure every kid in America knows better than to make a “joke” like this by that time they reach puberty, at the latest.

5. Dick Whitman

I'm with you. (Even though I started the thread.)

I used to make tasteless jokes, too, often about race. The joke was not the actual joke, if that makes sense. The joke was that I was being outrageous. We've been over this kind of thing a lot here. I'm in the very tiny minority.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Same. Best-case scenario at this point is he gets a little bit of a "shock sentence" that makes him aware that not being an asshole is a good way to go about life.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Adults are conned daily by Donald Trump; the kids are alright.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

[​IMG]

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You’ve got a huge bladder and/or are a man of few words.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No. Absolutely, positively no.

For one, younger people today don’t look at racial humor the way we do. This is perfectly acceptable in their entertainment world.

For another, their brains don’t process. I’ve mentioned this before, but read “The Teenage Brain.” It’s amazing how crazy the stuff is going on in there. And that’s even in the “smart” kids. Decision-making is simply not strong, particularly in high school boys, because of physiology.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The "prom-posal" fad never happens without social media. The goal isn't to go through with it. The goal is to be seen and documented going through with it.

wicked, I Should Coco, Stoney and 3 others like this.
  12. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Jan prom? (it wasn't that difficult after a couple of waters). My mistake was the girl's name was Maureen

Draft saved Draft deleted