1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist neanderthals threaten BSU Johnson's wedding

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Slydell, Jul 25, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sure she's a lovely girl. Her public persona just drives me nuts.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Re: San Dimas Football Rules!

There's something amiss at the Circle K.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nice goin' Idaho. I'm sure it will help BSU's recruiting knowing the bigotry players will face when they play there (even if they score the winning (score) in the game of the year). My bad.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He scored the winning two-point conversion. Someone else scored the TD.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I want to crochet with Johnson some day. We could have ourselves a regular Stitch 'n' Bitch.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Never pass up a chance to stereotype an entire state or region Fens.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Put a high-profile mixed-race wedding in ANY state in this country and there will be morons who use it as a platform. Anybody who thinks Idaho is lagging miles behind the rest of the country as far as race relations needs to get out more.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, he said Idaho has been a magnet. Not that all Idahoans are such.

Jesus.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry, Lester, but certain areas get it more. Honestly, I would be shocked if it happened in Jersey. I'm not saying that people wouldn't be racist or wouldn't be unhappy, but I doubt it would result in threatening letters.

Idaho's northern portion of the state has a bunch of neo-nazi camps setup. This is fairly well known and has been so for over 10-years. No, not all of the people in that state are racist but the state does possess a disproportionate amount compared to many other locations.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Perhaps Chris Myers could be in the wedding party to announce the protesters' arrival before it happens.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Maybe next time do a little research</Geico caveman>

So "fairly well known," in fact, that it's no longer true.

Living in North Idaho I am aware of the camps of which you speak, and they were pretty much cleaned out in a civil lawsuit by the Southern Poverty Law Center in August of 2000. The plaintiffs in the suit donated the land and the debate has been what to do with it now. I think they are going to make it a civil rights museum, though I have not followed it closely.

Idaho as a haven for racists is like any stereotype ... some truth, but mostly fiction. Having grown up in an area that featured all nationalities and having traveled a good deal for work and pleasure, Idaho is not nearly as bad as some other places, like South Carolina, for instance, where the Aryan Nations is now based.

I'll agree ... our per capita racist number is probably in the nation's Top 10, sadly. But I'll rack that up to the fact that our state spends 49th of 50 states on education. We're a dumb state and it's fairly well known that ignorance and racism are linked as is total lack of brain cells and the propensity to send threatening letters to kids getting married.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And he knows this because?

Draft saved Draft deleted