1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism ... Still a big issue?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oldschoolguy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Oldschoolguy

Oldschoolguy New Member

OK, I'm having this back and forth with a guy on a local sportswriters blog. I'm white. The other guy, I'm fairly certain, is black.

Every time a local athlete or coach gets left off an all-star team or isn't named coach of the year or isn't picked as a 5th judge on Idol ... could be anything -- he insists it was racially motivated.

I hammer back, gently but firmly. So far the discussion has stayed civil.

The latest involved the quality of basketball refereeing in our predominantly white region (but in a league with as many large city schools as suburban ones). I've suggested it needs improvement. He agreed but based his comments on the fact that the local "good ole boys" network of refs (his word) is always trying to stifle the "playground" style (again, his word) of the city teams (code alert!).

I've always felt sports is light years ahead of society at large, when it comes to being color blind.

Have any of you had similar experiences -- with people on either side of the color spectrum? Are we white guys naive, or is this guy paranoid beyond repair?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

There's a lot of tension lingering under the surface on all sides of the cultural/gender spectrum. It's not just color.

3. blueview

blueview Member

Still a big issue, period. Now what's the sentiment about sexism?

4. forever_town

See my post directly above yours.

5. blueview

blueview Member

Lemme rephrase that. What's more prominent, racism or sexism?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't think it's racism is really a problem these days. It only seems like it because all white people are so intolerant.

7. forever_town

A problem is a problem is a problem.

There's no need to quantify whether racism or sexism is worse. What about ageism? What about discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation? What about discriminating on the basis of national origin? Disability? What about education level?

8. Roger_Clemens

Roger_Clemens New Member

It sounds like it might be William Rhoden you are conversing with.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I'm sure the racism issue is worse some places than others, but at my last shop certain basketball teams (typically 90 percent black players) knew when they traveled to certain schools (typically 99.9 percent white players) they'd get jobbed by the refs (almost always three white guys). I saw it plenty of times in person. So, yeah, it's still an issue, even in sports.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Always has been an issue and will continue to be for the forseeable future.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Three guys not allowing "playground style" isn't racism. It's enforcing the rules as written at least when it comes to traveling, hanging on the rim, etc.

If inner-city refs (of any color) allow players to "hoop it up" or whatever, then the fault is theirs for not enforcing the rules.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

What makes you fairly certain he's black?

Draft saved Draft deleted