1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism in the United States

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 17, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Gilligan's hat stayed on, even as he was hanging upside down, through the basket.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is it too early to nominate the above contributions for the threadjack Hall of Fame?

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Race is still a problem in this country. It has been for years and will continue to be. It's one of a myriad of problems we have failed to address adequately.

Just because we have an African American in the White House doesn't mean the fight for equality has ended.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Has there ever been a white guy play for the Harlem Globetrotters (besides Gilligan and the Skipper)?

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Dammit, f_t.

6. Yes.
    Bob Karstens (WWII) and Bunny Leavitt (1930s).

7. DanOregon

I think race/slavery is America's "Original Sin" (someone else's line - not mine). The founders were well aware of the hypocrisy of basing the new country on "freedom and liberty" while omitting women, people without land and people of color. We fought a war over it, leaders have been assassinated because of it, and we're still struggling with it today.
    Though I do think now it has been reduced to mostly a cultural issue, rather than a political, institutional and legal issue. I think we're seeing the last gasps of it though. Once those who came of age before 1970 become a smaller minority, it will not be beneficial to cater to bigots or racists.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

And, as we all know, Thurston Howell III's ancestors came over on the Mayflower.

9. DanOregon

It kind of makes you wonder how different our country would be if the founders banned slavery from the jump.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or banned Gilligan's Island, for that matter

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That was just a warm-up for their game, 1,000 years later, against a team of atomic monsters

http://www.hulu.com/watch/49524/futurama-lurching-forward-in-time

12. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Native Americans might not agree with the emphasis on what is usually considered race/slavery as being the traditional sin.

More importantly, I fail to remember one episode of "Gilligan's Island" in which American Indians played a significant role. That glaring misstep is not mitigated by the fact that, as far as I know, most of the main characters were born in the United States and, therefore, native Americans.

In addition, the actor who played the shows namesake character, Bob Denver, only reminds aboriginal Americans of the Denver Broncos, a beast brought by the invaders, co-opted by the Indians, and then taken back again through war and subjugation.

How could this land's original inhabitants possible watch a single episode without flinching with the memories of past injustices?

Draft saved Draft deleted