1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism in high school hockey: Fans dress as Klan members for game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Feb 23, 2013.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Note that he hadn't seen the photo when he made the statement. He didn't say it was OK to dress up in racist garb in 2013. He said all-white garb is generally accepted as part of the white-outs. And it is.

It's entirely plausible he didn't realize what was going on. And he's right. Many times, people cry racist when there's nothing there.

Given the photos, it certainly comes off as racist, but if someone told me "hey, some stupid kids wore white hoods at white-out night" my first reaction would have been "So?"

I'd be more curious to know what Olson's opinion was after seeing the photos.

2. It's much better if you're racist to make value judgements about the game at hand.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Friends in Arizona still recall with horror the taunting Steve Kerr got in his UA days from ASU fans when his father was killed in Beirut.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'll take the ass-chewing. Way less hassle than making a story out of that.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I remember that incident. It was cruel.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I dare those kids to wear that garb with George Laraque on the ice.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

If they did, there'd be consequences and repercussions.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Ya think?

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What was it that fans in the Czech Republic called Wayne Simmonds of the Flyers (black player) when he played there during the lockout last fall? Monkey? Or something similar (can't recall)?

Draft saved Draft deleted