1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism in high school hockey: Fans dress as Klan members for game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Yes. But why would you not have a photo? How many reporters don't have phones with cameras? Even a low-resolution shot works in this case.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If they were wearing it the entire game, sure, but for 30 seconds? Who do you quote? No one noticed but yourself and other students.

Either you need art or a quote from an administrator or coach at the school, IMHO, to be able to run a story the next day.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If you didn't notice them, then obviously it can be excused. But if you notice something like that, you go after it. Leave your seat and walk over to the student section. Find adults in the area. Talk to students off the record, if possible.

Any reporter lucky enough to literally witness something like this, you can't ignore it. If you see something, you become the source. You don't need testimony from others to validate your story.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Weightier racism issues aside, I can't help but laugh if I think of that picture as Cleavon Little and Gene Wilder sneaking into the crowd.

"Stampeding cattle."
    "That's not much of a crime."
    "In the Vatican?"
    "Kinky!"

5. The principal at Red River released a statement the kids only wore the hoods for a minute, tops, but the guy in the stands ho took the photo said it was 10 minutes.

http://mobile.grandforksherald.com/page/article/id/257293

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If "stampeding" is all they're doing with the cattle in the Vatican these days, it's pretty tame.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Graduation, nothing. Does North Dakota still have anti-masking laws on the books?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

For a lot of families, not seeing your child walk is a big deal. That's a pretty huge discipline tool for school divisions.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A few Duke fans teased an opposing player about his grandmother who had recently died.

There are a handful of idiots in every gathering.

10. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

It might be for the parents, but for some kids, it's not that big a deal.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

+1 on this.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not being familiar with the school or the history, I wonder is this a first-time incident? Or is this something that goes on with some regularity?

If it's a unique incident, I'll give it a mention in the story, but not make it the focus of the story, anymore than I would if some stripper ran onto the ice for 30 seconds. The story is the game.

OK, so some student don't like blacks. Big deal, that's their choice. Not my job as a reporter to make a value judgment over what fans display.

Draft saved Draft deleted