1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism at North Texas?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Two North Texas players accuse head coach Todd Dodge of racism. Word is today, a third black player is adding a complaint.

Are Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton en route?

Even if untrue, the damage has been done.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/story/289035.html

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not that I think Dodge was at all racist, but it seemed odd that this piece -- unless it was an opinion job -- so quickly denounced the claims.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If Gil want to stick up for the guy because you believe he's not a racist, then give me your reasons. The fact that he coached at other places and had coached black players before is no proof that he's a rainbow warrior.

I thought the column was embarrassingly bad.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

There's a link to the main story on that same page.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Gil's a columnist, so I would assume it is an opinion piece.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Terrible column. Just terrible.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Why?

And Dodge might have been on his way out. Classic case of a high school coached overmatched in college, even if it is a Sun Belt team.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't know Gil, nor the paper, so I was left to wonder...part of the problem of reading the story on the site instead of the paper.

And Hondo, it was a terrible column. Gil offered nothing to justify his faith in Dodge, other than his actual on-the-field coaching.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you tell us what you liked about it -- or thought made it at least OK.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Well since his on the field coaching sucks ...

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

See, if Gil said that a good coach who is a racist might get hired but not one that bad, he'd have bolstered his argument.

12. digger

digger New Member

Did anyone catch this in the column? "UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal said.''

Release the hounds!

Draft saved Draft deleted