1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racial injustice blamed on NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Jul 26, 2007.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Wow. Just wow.

One of the most ignorant columns ever.

http://www.chicagosportsreview.com/inthemeantime/contentview.asp?c=198396

2. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Wow.....he's an angry man.

He probably hates snow........ because it's white.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How is Tim Donaghy a sympathetic figure?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I dunno. I think he's got it pegged. Behind all those sponsor decals on the car -- nothing but white sheets.

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Since I can't ever remember the technical definition of irony...

Is it ironic he bemoans the state of black athletes then refers to Toyota as "rice eaters"?

I think even Scoop would be embarrassed by this.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That is one of most wildy off-base and ignorant columns I've seen on this topic.

"Every white person that wants to remain a white person can be a stock car person. And their bond? NASCAR (or is it the systematic economic rape of a country of people?)."

WTF? The dude tried to use the Yawn School of Attack to try and make a point.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

If I don't want to be white anymore, what should I be?

8. It's an artless piece, to be sure, but it's very hard to argue that the white-supremacist Confederate revivalist spirit hasn't been at the heart of NASCAR from the minute it was devised by old Bill France, who was one of G.C. Wallace's primary political sugar daddies. Do I think that that spirit, channelled through NASCAR, has reached beyond the sport? No. But do I think NASCAR has tolerated it to the point where NASCAR is one of the most public places in which it flourishes? yes.

9. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

possibly the most poorly-written column I have ever read. For someone who rails against racism, it doesn't say much for them by referring to the hispanic fans as 'mexicans.'

Also, someone should inform the writer that Bill France is no longer around, but it's his son who is (regrettably, for now) in charge.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mocha

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

He lost me when I noticed the ad for the magazine and the AP style error on the front cover. But what I did read -- massive overreach was a kind term to describe it.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

If that was going to be his argument, FB, then he did a pisspoor job of making it. There may be legitimacy lurking far behind some of what he's saying, but this man isn't reaching it.

Draft saved Draft deleted