1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rachel Nichols leaves ESPN for CNN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Shes going to anchor her own weekend sports show, and do NBA stuff for Turner Sports.

Don't know her well but happy for her. Classy and talented.

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/24/rachel-nichols-joins-cnn-and-turner-sports/?on.cnn=1

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

ESPN's doing a great job training women journalists to go on to bigger and better things. Good for them!

3. printit

printit Member

Big fan of hers. Think she will do well.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

She has twin baby girls...not easy to keep up with the demands of espn and also be home with babies. Very happy for her.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

She's come a long way from her days of "I'm Rachel Nichols, ESPNNNNNNNNNN..." and she was damn good even back then.

I understand this deal will allow her to make appearances on CBS too. Great to hear... :)

6. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Great news for one of the classy people in the business.

7. Always been a big fan. Wish her nothing but the best.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I like her radio personality -- very live and with-it personality and delivery.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, I'll be cow kicked.

Or something else . . .

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1996-05-24/sports/9605230691_1_hockey-fan-pittsburgh-penguins-dishes

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Knew her when she was still Rachel Alexander. Could not be happier for her. One of the nicest people around.

11. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Never been huge on her. Know she's a very good reporter, does her job well, etc.

Just comes off on camera as being very overcoached. Unnatural on camera. Tries too hard, with the voice thing, and the gestures, and the smile and "Isn't that interesting?" head tilts, as well as her obviously rehearsed signoffs.

Stylistic thing. Everyone I know who has had encounters with her says she's great, and really nice.

Hopefully this time, CNN will successfully gain a better foothold. No Bob Knight to get fired this time around.

12. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I like her work. She's the daughter of Diane Sawyer and Mike Nichols, right? Good genes if so.

Draft saved Draft deleted