1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rachel Dolezal 2.0, #BlackLivesMatter Activist Shaun King is White

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 20, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Uhhhhh huhhhhh

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how he can even claim to have kept his "complicated personal history" close to his chest.

If he identified as black as a teen, but everyone in his small town knew that his white mom was married to a white dad at the time of his birth, hasn't he been exposing his mother's "affair" for years?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Couldn't much of this mess be cleared up with a simple DNA test?

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How many people in high school did you know their whole life story? How many did you even know their parents?

Sounds like you're a little nervous you might have fallen for some bullshit by Breitbart.

5. YankeeFan

How do you know I'm black? Look at my friends!

Every friend I had was black, my girlfriends were black, I was seen as black, treated as black, and endured constant overt racism as a young black teenager.

I don't have the heart to tell him that race isn't determined by who you date, or who you're friends are.

old_tony likes this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Which story is more believable to you?

A. Living in a small Southern town in the 1970s, Shaun King's mother makes up a story about an interracial extramarital affair and consigns one of her children to a lower social status.

Or

Breitbart, a website known almost exclusively for printing deceptive race bait, printed a piece of deceptive race bait.

7. LongTimeListener

He looks black in the school picture. I would have thought he was black.

8. YankeeFan

That comment was based on what he said here:

After that day when I was first asked if I was mixed, while I was still a very young child, kids and their well-intentioned parents began telling me they knew who my black father was, that I was so and so’s cousin, etc. This was in small-town Versailles, Kentucky, in the 1980s.

I think the guy is a fraud. Either way, I think it's funny to say anyone fell for some bullshit by Breitbart. The dude is one of the major figures in the #BlackLivesMatter movement. According to his birth certificate, both of his parents are white. Especially in light of the Rachel Dolezal story, that's a story. Should they have simply not reported it?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If those were the only two possibilities, I'd have to go with B. But you have left a few other plausible scenarios on the sidelines.

Edited: I meant to go with B.

10. YankeeFan

We don't know what his mother told him.

We know what he now says his mother told him.

And, I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why this wasn't a story.

11. LongTimeListener

It appears most likely to be an incorrect story.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If King is telling the truth, the better question is why it is a story. What Breitbart did to his mother is at least as bad, if not worse, than what Gawker did to the Conde Nast CFO, and everyone (correctly) flipped out over that breach of propriety.

cranberry and franticscribe like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted