1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race and prejudice in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Dang, dude you couldn't wait to see my fonts, i see.

What you doing with one of my quotes in your sig.

You love black people don't cha

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I like black people fine. You're not black.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

lol!!!!!!

I wouldn't want to be a pasty ass white person. that's for sure

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

White people were blessed with the gift of structure and organization. You guys do a good job of building businesses and things of that nature and you know how to tap into money pretty much better than a lot of people do around the world.

Hispanics are gifted in family structure. You can see a Hispanic person and they can put 20 or 30 people in one home. They were gifted in the family structure.

When you look at the Asians, the Asian is very gifted in creation, creativity and inventions. If you go to Japan or any Asian country, they can turn a television into a watch. They're very creative. And you look at the Indians, they have been very gifted in the spirituality.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Looking at some other stories about this case, there's no way to tie what's going on here with a case in Long Beach. Actually, it's getting tiresome -- from both sides -- that some case becomes a cause celebre, and then something from the "other side" trots out some strawman that's allegedly proves two wrongs make a right.

What happened in Jena happens in a lot of schools, but here with more tragic consequences. The school and authorities don't do anything about a problem at school (in this case, institutionalized racism), or when they finally do something, it's lip service or something that proves the higher-ups aren't terribly troubled by the problem (in this case, the superintendent overrode the principal's decision to expel the students who hung the nooses, instead giving them only three-day suspensions). The black kids at school got the clear-as-day signal that in the end, no one in authority was going to stand up for them. To ask them to sit there and take it when there is a legitimate fear for their safety is too much.

It's also noticeable that there had been numerous racial brawls in Jena, but when a white kid got the worst of it, that's when prosecutors went for the jugular. Especially at a time when there are numerous cases in the South when prosecutors have famously gone out of their way to put young blacks away for an inordinate amount of time considering the crime committed. (The Genarlow Wilson, Shaquanda Cotton and Marcus Dixon cases.)

So the difference between the Long Beach case and the Jena case is that in the former, you had race-based actions by individuals, and in the latter, you have institutional racism fueling the fire. The former is regrettable and sad. The latter is rotten to the core. You can't tell me that prosecutor hasn't heard a lot of white people in town say that he had been get those "thugs," or probably far worse.

6. Well done, Bob.

7. boots

boots New Member

The bottom line is that justice is blind. There are two sides to every story and then there is the truth.
    If you can't see where racial bias and insensitivity may have played a part here, then you are just as blind as lady liberty.

8. Holy Jesus Christ On A Vibrator.
    Lady Liberty is not blind. She's looking out there at the Atlantic Ocean.
    Dame Justice, who holds the scale, is not blind, either. She's blindfolded.
    I swear, it's like watching a three-legged goat tap dance.

9. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

That...that didn't make any sense whatsoever. And since when is the Statue of Liberty blind?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Have a drink, Fenian. The sun's over the yardarm somewhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This place truly is the theater of the absurd.

12. boots

boots New Member

dude, those are figures of speech. Have you not heard those phrases begore? Don't be a killjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted