1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race and prejudice in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Aug 8, 2007.

1. How remarkably gutless of you.
    Read someone else's mind.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

That's rich, you, in all your anonymity, telling me I'm gutless and I ignorantly divine what people are thinking.

3. You told Ace what he was thinking about what I was thinking.
    You had no idea of either one.
    "Ignorantly divining" comes pretty close.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Triuthfully, I was going for the most ridiculous, cliche response I could think of, figuring a similar thought would reside somewhere in the gutsy, un-anonymous pallister's frontal lobe.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

...payback's a bitch and get over it girls? or were you saying at least they didn't get dragged behind a pickup? or were you saying that black males simply can't help it and they shouldn't be held to the same standard you would hold for white perpetrators who commit similar acts with similar motives?

and you were saying...

6. And the Unquenchable Id of any SportsJournalists.com discussion of race comes in, shakes off his robes, and sits down.
    Nobody said any of that.
    I think what happened in Long Beach, from what I can gather, was pretty damn heinous. So are these events in Louisiana. But the notion that there's some sort of rough equality between how white people and how black people are treated in the criminal justice system is still pretty much as dumb as it was before this thread started.
    Nice James Byrd reference, though.
    He died. You do know that, right?

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Poin, you're right, the title of the thread (purposefully) opens up the theme to ALL racism, ALL examples of injustice and prejudice. But you and pallister both seem intent on proving something by pointing out that there are incidents of black-on-white crime. I don't know what it is you're trying to prove. I could make some guesses, but I won't, because that wouldn't be fair. So instead of us all slinging mud for three pages, why don't you make plain what your point is? And by the way, if it REALLY is, "Fenian cares more about black people than white people," then I'm quite certain you're on shaky ground.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Byrd died and the murders received justice. And the SCLS didn't send a press release reminding America of the presumption of innocence for Shawn Allen Berry, Lawrence Russel Brewer, and John William King.

9. That's because white people face a crushing burden in this black-dominated society, and because black people have been hypocritcally whining about their place in America since the 1600's.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

'yabb, you were right on your second post. Now, why are you stoking those flames? Pallister's painting Fenian's agenda, you're saying the SCLC has to send out press releases. We can all sit here and point out all the hypocrisy we want, because it's SO much easier than actually discussing solutions. Think that might be part of the problem?

11. pallister

pallister Guest

You just admitted you were trying to tell me what I was thinking. And thus we come full circle.

Mert, I'm not trying to "prove" anything, just pointing out that Fenian, as smart and well-spoken as he is, can be a hypocrite. I'll walk away from this thread and maybe it'll get back on track.

12. Based on what?
    That I didn't condemn the Long Beach events?
    Oh wait. I did.
    Can't imagine what you're talking about, unless you're making the case that the LB case and the Jena case are equal in all things, including historical resonance in the community.
    Are you?
    Because that would be an interesting point.

Draft saved Draft deleted