1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race and prejudice in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Aug 8, 2007.

1. And good for you, too.
    Of course, now you can explain why this particular incident got tossed into a thread involving white students hanging a noose on a tree in Louisiana.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't know, for the same reason you never seem to have much to say on any thread about violence/wrongdoing that doesn't fit into your agenda?

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Seriously. We get it, racially motivated crime goes in more directions than one, and all of them are sickening. But everytime someone brings up a "white on black" crime, we don't need to hear of a "black on white" crime. It's trite and unecessary.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You waiting to get Fenian to say that the white women were probably asking for it?

5. And an example of that would be, what? I don't think I've ever ducked a thread.
    Look, you and poin come onto these threads all the time with the see-see-black-folks-do-it-too-OJ!-Duke! stories. I don't know what the point of them are, except to point out that criminals seem to come in all colors etc. etc., which doesn't exactly make you guys the Myrdals. Of course, left out, always, is the ongoing historical context of continuing institutional racism and the vestiges of American white supremacy now, apparently, being passed along to the good children of Louisiana. I believe that was the purpose of Mert's tossing this story up here.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The title of the thread is race and prejudice in America. It doesn't surprise me that you can't figure it out, but the dirty little secret is that prejudice comes in all colors.

Emotional pleas from three white young women attacked by a mob of black teens on Halloween were made Wednesday to Long Beach Superior Court Judge Gibson Lee.The victims - who were attacked by a group of 20 to 40 youths who yelled racial slurs, pelted the young women with with fruit and pumpkins, then beat the victims to the ground using fists, feet, a skateboard and tree branches - implored the judge to give the harshest sentence possible for the nine teens convicted in the case.

The victims talked about the pain they endured the night of the beatings, as well as their struggles to recover from ongoing injuries.

In addition to the physical scars, they described psychological torment triggered by the attack and exacerbated by the contentious and lengthy trial.

Loren was the first of the three victims to address Judge Lee Wednesday.

“It is a terrible feeling to enter that courtroom and be surrounded by the defendants and then treated by the defense like I am a criminal,” Loren said. “I was completely honest on the witness stand, and my reward was being called a liar by the defense … it’s an insult to my character.”

The Press-Telegram has opted not to identify the victims,

the witnesses and those accused in the attack out of concern for their safety.

The 21-year-old was followed by her friends Laura and Michelle, both 19, who addressed the court for the very first time when giving their impact statements.

“Perhaps the only thing worse than suffering the 13 facial fractures was watching my best friend Laura lying on the ground, lifeless, while being beaten and kicked and being helpless to stop it,” Loren said, starting to cry.

“It seems so odd

to me now that I never thought I was going to die, but remained focused on trying desperately to save Laura, because I thought for sure one wrong blow to her head and she would be dead.”

As she spoke, Laura broke into loud sobs and collapsed onto her mother’s shoulder.

All three girls cried throughout their statements, and as they listened to their friends recall the toll the beatings have taken.

The nine convicted teens sat quietly throughout the statements, with only brief flickers of what looked to be distress on their faces.

All nine were convicted of felony assault with the intent to cause great bodily injury. A tenth, a 12-year-old girl, was cleared of the charges and released from custody.

Eight of the nine were also convicted on hate-crime allegations and six were found guilty of a second enhancement; that they personally inflicted great bodily injury on their victims.

They face sentences ranging from probation to time in the California Youth Authority, the state’s prison system for juvenile offenders.

Their sentences, or dispositions as they are called in juvenile court, will be broken up over three days, beginning on Friday.

7. Like I was saying...

8. pallister

pallister Guest

No, Fenian doesn't have to say anything, Ace. That thought never crossed my mind. But it sure crossed yours, didn't it?

Beaker, I don't think any kind of racially motivated violence is trite.

Fenian, I don't think I ever posted on a Duke or O.J. thread. Stop painting with such a broad brush. Stereotype someone else.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Look, you and poin come onto these threads all the time with the see-see-black-folks-do-it-too-OJ!-Duke!

Poin does? Really? All the time? My memory isn't great, and I certainly won't say "never", but "all the time?"

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Again, we get it. Still doesn't make it necessary to post that.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The second article was also very poorly written, hard to understand and confusing with respect to the facts. The author threw out a lot of accusations without doing even the most basic research.

12. boots

boots New Member

It was at a bowling alley.

Draft saved Draft deleted