1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race and prejudice in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Aug 8, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The three white women beaten within inches of their lives last Halloween in Long Beach, Ca. by a group of black teenagers would probably interested in this thread. Nine blacks convicted of assault, which, along with racial epithets, added to eight of the defendants getting convictions of hate crime.

Sentencing consisted of probation and house arrest.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

And, of course, no thread that deals with race would be complete without some ignorant fool implying that everyone in the South is racist.

3. Yes, again, because black people get all the breaks in our criminal justice system.
    This story, on the other hand, sickens me.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Does the story poin mentioned sicken you, too?

5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I thought he was making reference to the heat. ;)

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Can't argue with that; It's so humid down here I think the trees are sweating.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Some locations overcompensate the other way . . . . . .

As for this story, it's a shame that the boys who the story says had athletic futures couldn't just say "Forget those guys; they'll never get out of this town anyway" when pushed by the a-hole whiteys. But life just doesn't work that way. And people sometimes reach their breaking point with all the crap.

Damn guys, it's a stupid tree. They can have it; you take the college rides out of town.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

They threw nooses around the tree. Death threats. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think I can safely say that I'd have any different reaction than the boys in question did. They should have turned the other cheek, absolutely, but I have a big problem blaming them for much of anything on this one.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't blame them at all . . . . it's just that the decisions made at age 18 will affect you at age 28, 38, etc.

And if only they would have been able to keep their eye on the prize, good things possibly awaited them if they had the athletic futures the article describes. It's sad as hell, because the racists got exactly what they wanted. The only way those kids were gonna win was if they did end up getting out.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Do you think if the black kids involved were real honor roll student NON athletes, they would have reacted the same way? If they had been mathletes, science fair kids, geography bee participants, in a foreign language club or the art club, they would have reacted in a violent manner?
    Why does the prize have to consist of playtime at a university? Too much emphasis on sports in the lower socio-economic groups.

11. No, because I think whte people deserve to die.
    Does it have to? OK. Are the experiences of black people and white people in this nation remotely similar?
    No. Next question.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

What a cop-out. Why can't you jusy say that any act of racially-motivated violence, no matter the perpetrators or victims, is sickening? I can.

Draft saved Draft deleted