1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Race and prejudice in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MertWindu, Aug 8, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Absolutely sickening that this can happen in our country. Absolutely sickening.

First, read this.
    http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070805/SPORTS03/708050316/1006/SPORTS

Now, here's why Mr. Bell won't be playing football this year.
    http://austinweeklynews.1upsoftware.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=1342&TM=12921.11

There's a hell of a lot more out there about this. I'd suggest you find it. I'm going to go vomit.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

this thread will solve all of our problems, as usual

3. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Oh, so don't talk about it? Don't mention race? Thanks for the input. Did you even read the stories? Naw, that'd be too much work. Just snipe away.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That first story is pretty bad. It should at least give some detail from the trial on what he did to get convicted.

Sounds more like a group of asshole white kids decided they wanted to start a mess.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yeah I read the articles you posted, then I googled the defendant's name to read other stories about the situation since I'm not familiar with the Austin News Weekly.

But these threads never end well, especially when the Rev Sharpton lends his reputation for veracity to a cause.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

The first story definitely doesn't go into enough detail, but I'm guessing that was the mandate of the editor, saying, "look, this isn't supposed to be the story that goes into detail about everything. Just write the facts, we'll deal with the non-sports stuff elsewhere." But I dunno.

'yabb: fair enough.

7. boots

boots New Member

This is 2007. Shit like this shouldn't be happening. Kind of reminds me of Allen Iverson's conviction.

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Which one? The one where he threw his wife out of the house? Or the one in the club where his posse beat up on another man?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bowling alley brawl is what Boots is referring to.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The part about the jury really sticks with me. Then again, it is Louisiana so nothing surprises me.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

and I just got through reading To Kill a Mockingbird last month. Watch out for Boo Radley boys...

A few questions...

1. Why do the kids eat outside? Is there no air conditioning in this school?

2. Writing a letter to a national newspaper about the white tree would have gotten a lot more done than fighting. Blacks will never win a fight in the south when everything is said and done. Too much is stacked against them. Why didn't someone explain this to them?

3. Why would anyone want to live in the south? Lord.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That first story was just terribly written. I had no idea what was going on.

Draft saved Draft deleted