1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R-Rod settles will pony up the $4 mil he owes WVU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yet somehow WVU is the first school that I know of that went this public with it. They have a right to be pissed, but they didn't help themselves any. They look small time.

2. WVU did NOT go public. R-Rod and his lawyers did.
    WVU reacted when the coach wanted to worm his way out of a signed contract.
    Rich Rod is at fault here not WVU. The school's only other optuion was to let the cocksucker shuffle off to UM scot-free. They didn't let Beilein do it, why would they make an expection - an additional $2 million excpetion.

It's real small time when you try to hold someone to a (signed) contract. ::)

-30-

3. Mizzougrad96

Then explain to me why no one else has done it.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Starman just gutted a drifter and doesn't know why.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Wow. I'm getting to the party late, but wow, you couldn't have this any further backwards.

As Orville already said, Rodriguez made this a public issue on his first damned day at Michigan, when he was asked about the buyout during his introductory presser, he said he would get his lawyers on it. He made it clear he had no interest in honoring the buyout, and when the first payment of the buyout was due in January -- shocker -- no check was written.

Meanwhile, Rodriguez had a graduate assistant hand the AD a two-sentence resignation letter. Then he spent his last day in his office in Morgantown shredding the players' personnel files and, according to a sworn affidafit, tried to persuade the former director of the athletic department's fundraising arm to lie about making a claim that offensive coordinator Calvin Magee (who was introduced at the Michigan presser as Big Blue's new O.C.) was not considered for the WVU job because he is black.

And addressing your point about being tossed out after a couple of 6-6 seasons ... WVU, sometimes to its detriment, is exceptionally patient with its coaches. (They haven't fired a coach in the two major sports of football and men's hoops since the 1970s.) So, no, I don't see WVU firing anyone after 6-6.

And the hillbilly comment was uncalled for.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Because no one has ever tried to take legal action to get out of a payment for breaking the contract. He was the one who chose to say WVU was cheating him, then it was gloves off.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I really don't think that's an issue in this day and age. An athlete, white or black, will be able to bag babes, white or black. Especially if they're D1 football players.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I applaud WVU for enforcing their rights. R-Rod was flat wrong and he tried to weasel out hoping people would feel exactly what some are saying here, making WVU out to be the bad guy.

When R-Rod signed his contract and accepted the buyout provision he knew it was there and he got the contractual benefits as he was cashing his checks. Only when the prettier girl came around did his tune change. He knew the consequences and dared WVU to hold him to it. Thankfully they did.

I do not believe we should just accept that people do not honor their agreements and accept that as a fact of life. That's simply wrong.

10. Mizzougrad96

Good for WVU. They get their $4 million...

Now, when they have their next opening and no coach who could possibly have aspirations beyond Morgantown wants anything to do with them, they'll know why.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

As noted, there's a glass ceiling, there. In in their heart of hearts, they know it.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If you mean they won't be able to get a coach who is planning to eventually violate his contract, then you are probably correct.

I really don't understand the need to attack WVU here. Rodriguez made this a fight. He handled this like a complete dirtbag in every way. linotype and others did an excellent job explaining what he did. The one thing they left off is that Rodriguez started calling recruits that he had been pursuing for West Virginia to try to get them to come to Michigan before he had even told anybody at West Virginia that he was leaving. Rodriguez then proceeded to suggest WVU should cut him loose early in a ridiculous attempt to get out of paying his buyout clause.

In fact, if I remember correctly, the first quoted source to break the news that Rodriguez was leaving was a recruit, Terrelle Pryor.

Draft saved Draft deleted