1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R-Rod settles will pony up the $4 mil he owes WVU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Not trying to be an ass (yeah, I know great way to start a post), but do you know what you are talking about?
    The whole case was over R-Rod NOT wanting to pay the $4 mil, despite the fact he signed a contract with a buy-out clause.
    R-Rod and his lawyer and agent were trying to avoid paying the money. Nevermind the fact John Beilein has been making payments to WVU to cover his buy-out clause.
    R-Rod and his lawyer and agent brought this out in the open, not WVU.

2. This had the potential to be a huge case. If CRR had won, it would have rendered these types of buyout clauses all but meaningless. This shows the clauses still have teeth.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Sorry, AQB, this is not about that.
    This is about an egotistical maniac who tried to pull every trick in the book, PR and otherwise, to skip out of a financial obligation. And WVU, rightfully so, made sure it blew up in his face.

4. Yep.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's a great point.

6. Mizzougrad96

I don't disagree that Rodriguez handled this badly, but WVU comes out looking worse in my opinion.

This is going to hurt them in every coaching hire they make in every sport here on out.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

WVA is a great stepping stone, but it's virtually impossible for them to reach the top of Everest in football, given that their black student registration is miniscule on a percentage basis, and the black athletes they manage to recruit in order to make Saturday afternoons in the fall more pleasant can't look forward to a good deal of broad social interaction with student peers in Morgantown.

Nehlen made a career there, but the ying and yang of the situation only allowed him to make a big run at a serious national ranking once every 4/5 years.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Freep says Michigan will pay $2.5 million of the buyout

9. Mizzougrad96

Nehlen spoiled them. You get a lifer in there and schools expect every coach afterwards to treat the job the same way. It's a nice thought, but it's not realistic.

10. Mizzougrad96

No surprise there.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And Richie Rich still wanted to bitch about it?

God . . . Bucks and Wolverines . . . how can you take sides?

12. I don't think you could say Nehlen spoiled WVU fans.
    It's also a stretch to say WVU made serious title runs under Nehlen every 4/5 years, Nehlen was in Morgantown since 1980. They made serious runs in 88 and another in 94.
    He was good for six to eight wins a year and a bowl berth.

Mizzou,
    There was no expectation R-Rod was staying for life. There was an expectation - and rightfully so - he would honor his fucking contract; i.e. his buy out!

Draft saved Draft deleted