1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I. weekly hiring

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HiringWeekly, Jan 22, 2009.

1. HiringWeekly

HiringWeekly New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm a regular poster, but in order to keep some semblance of anonymity, I'm posting under a different username for this one.

Anyway, I recently accepted a new job and, after promoting someone from within to fill my position, we are hiring a sports reporter to fill out the staff (thankfully, they're letting us fill the position) of the South County Independent and the North East Independent.

We are an award-winning weekly sports section in southern Rhode Island that obviously focuses mostly on preps, though we do cover the University of Rhode Island, a Division I school (FCS for football), as well.

This is pretty much an entry-level position, perfect for a recent college grad with a degree in journalism or a related field. This is not, however, a position for someone who has never written for a newspaper in some form or fashion before (I say this to avoid the spate of resumes from sports fans who got "B's" in high school english).

We pride ourselves on our reporting and writing here and that means warts-and-all coverage of the local sports scene. We do our fair share of feelgood features, but we also tackle the issues facing local sports teams, even it means upsetting some of our readers.

There is some layout work required, so familiarity with Quark XPress is a big plus, though it is not mandatory. Good writing and reporting come first. Oh, and you won't have to shoot your own photos.

Pay is in the low- to mid-20K range and includes benefits and a 401K.

You will work directly with the new sports editor, Brendan Dowding, but we also have two photographers and several stringers who contribute to the section.

We are hoping to fill the position quickly so that the new reporter can get his or her feet wet before the playoff season begins.

If you need more info, shoot me an email at brianp@neindependent.com (I probably won't check this username often for PMs) for the next two weeks or to dowding@neindependent.com after that. No phone calls please.

We will be accepting packages until approximately Feb. 4, so get your stuff in ASAP.

To apply, send a resume, cover letter and clips to:
    South County Newspapers
    C/O Sports Editor Brian Pernicone
    10 High St.
    Wakefield, RI

I will send an email to confirm I received your package, but after that, I will likely only reply to those with whom we'd like to set up an interview.

EDIT: While I probably won't check this username very often, I'll check this posting, so if you have any questions that others might want the answers to, leave them here and I'll do my best to answer them.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Two full timers at a weekly? Wow!

3. lefty2432

lefty2432 New Member

what is the cost of living like over there?

4. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

Cost of living, I would imagine, can be pricey because it's close to the water. You're not that far from URI.

Italian Village is right across the street from this weekly, I believe. That is one of my favorite Italian restaurants around. The chicken escarole soup and baked ziti are tops in my book.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Cost of living in RI isn't too bad, depending on where you decide to live.

If you want to live right near the office of this joint, it's pretty pricey because during the year URI kids take up a lot of housing and during the summer most places rent their properties out to vacationers.

I'd say you're looking between $1,000-1,200 per month for a decent two bedroom place.

But, if you feel like commuting, look into cities like Cranston, Warwick and Johnston. You can find a decent one bedroom for $600-$700 and a decent two bedroom for $900-$1,110.

I work at a competing place not too far away and made due on roughly the salary listed here and still manage a vacation a year so it's not terrible. You're not going to be living in luxury though without a side gig or two.

6. HiringWeekly

HiringWeekly New Member

Cost of living isn't too bad. In fact, you can find places much cheaper than what Schieza listed. I used to live in a pair of four-bedroom houses that were walking distance to the beach and I paid $400 and $420/month (one of those I lived in as recently as last spring). I also know of several two-bedroom places that are less than a mile from the office that go for $750/month (total).

With its proximity to URI, there are tons of rental properties. IMHO, it's not at all worth living in Cranston or Warwick. The money you'll spend on gas to commute will offset the $200 or so you'll save and it's not worth spending that time driving. Of course, where I'm from, if we have to drive more than 15 minutes to get somewhere it's considered a day trip and we pack a lunch. :D

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

For the person who gets this gig, here's some advice: Hit up Mews in Wakefield. I love that place. They know how to make a burger.

8. schiezainc

Oh, and for the person who gets this gig: spend the next four months getting to know every back road to and from the area. You'll need it in the summer as the hordes of beach goers come and crowd the roads.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The state beach pass is a very worthwhile expenditure of $30 (just bring a piece of mail to prove residency). It'll get you into Scarborough, Sand Hill Cove, Misquamicut, East Beach and the Charlestown Breachway (great place if you can handle undertow and the lack of concession stands or potable drinking water).
    Narragansett Town Beach is probably THE best beach, but they charge both to park and to walk on (unless you own property in town). But it's free pre-Memorial Day and post-Labor Day, and the parking lot attendants usually go home at 5.
    If you live closer to Warwick/Cranston/Providence, please beware of the deer on Route 4 at night. Mrs. T used to drive that back from class in Newport, and she had a couple of close calls with Bambi's mom.

10. schiezainc

That deer is still hanging around? I drove by that sum-bitch last summer and saw him twice in the fall. Makes me panic every single time because I never know if he/she is gonna bolt across the street.

11. eastcoast

eastcoast New Member

Charlie O's!

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

From what I've heard, there will be a decision on this one next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted