1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. William Buckley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SlickWillie71, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You know, freedom of association, that kind of stuff. You know, that enduring-even-against-the-current-crew piece of paper that kinda is the linchpin of our way of life. As a lawyer, you should probably bone up on what it is.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It may or may not have been legal, but I think that's the relevant question.

3. dooley_womack1

No it has nothing to do with legality. Freedom of political association, along with that of religious association, were the big issues that the framers wanted to protect most having gotten out from under England. You cannot outlaw political parties. Unconstitutional. Simple as that.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

A law like that might be unconstitutional, but I don't think an action would be classified as constitutional. You explained what you meant, so the semantics aren't that important.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

McCarthy was, however, right about communists being close to power in the U.S. government.

6. dooley_womack1

Ergo, McCarthy had no right to ruin people for doing a constitutionally allowed activity, and thus his actions are constitutionally indefensible.

And Pall, there were black helicopters in the early 1950s?

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Except for the fact that nowhere does the Constitution mention anything about a right to "freedom of association."

As I understand, Supreme Court cases have concluded that the association right can essentially be inferred from the 1st Amendment. But its not a right that's explicitly set out in the Constitution. Instead, its a judicially inferred right that's been subject to legal debate over the years.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Umm, bucko, I'm pretty sure that the right to free speech and free assembly are right there in that first amendment.

So, yeah, it's set in stone.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A lot of people were on the wrong side of the civil rights movement. Among them, the following Democratic governors and senators: George Wallace, Herman Talmadge, George Smathers (JFK's good buddy), Lester Maddox, Orville Faubus, John Stennis, Leander Perez, the Long brothers ... I could go on.
    Bull Connor also was a Democrat.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Ya, it's in the 15, uh, 10 commandments.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Curious: How are your shops playing Buckley's death? 1A? Lead national story? Brief? Newshole too small for dead conservatives?

12. dooley_womack1

Many of whom (let's not forget Strom Thurmond) became Republicans when the Democratic party made things less pleasant for racists. And the South was basically a one-party entity in those days, so your post is simplistic as hell.

Draft saved Draft deleted