1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. William Buckley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SlickWillie71, Feb 27, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Yes.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Now that is how to write a classy tribute even though you opposed his politics. In full sentences as compared to writing irish's sound bite - "he was a douche"

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bang on, JG.

You're right. We don't have public debate anymore in North America. And people seem to think that being a public intellectual is being a phony or "putting on airs". There's always been an anti-intellectual strain in N America but now it's worn as a badge of honour.

The debates in the last Ontario election were embarrassing. There were two reasonably intelligent and certainly decent men who had decided that screaming and name-calling made them "politicians'.

The only books I wish Buckley had never written were his CIA novels. God, were they awful.

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Great nonpartisan post.

5. As a northeastern Catholic, Buckley seemed uncomfortable with some of the evangelical, Southern crowd that now makes up the majority of the modern GOP.

Though he was conservative, he was willing to examine new ideas or reexamine his old ones. He deserves credit for being one of the first and most prominent conservatives to come out and say that the drug war was a farce. I thought that was pretty brave.

I don't think he ever became a caricature, and certainly not in the sense of today's right-wing talking heads. I often disagreed with him, but I usually found him thoughtful.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . . making a vital point, lost in the current din.

7. writing irish

My initial post was not an attempt at a comprehensive retrospective on the legacy of Buckley. That should have been obvious.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I stand by my observation - JG provides intelectual tribute and you provide sound bite. A man dies that you disagree with and you pay your respects by calling him a douche.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

To those who can read, yes.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Back on fucking topic and not sniping at each other. I'm a fucking grouch today and getting more ornery.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Headbutt was an ornery douche, but he knew his shit. ;)

12. writing irish

I'm sorry I was working this morning and didn't have time to write a post long enough to make everyone happy. And I'm sorry I called a segregationist who opposed the civil rights movement a douche. (slinks away from thread)

Draft saved Draft deleted