1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. William Buckley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SlickWillie71, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yes, he was surely intelligent, and while he was freaked out about some of the conservative wingnuts today, he still had a hand in spawning them.

But regardless, RIP.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Nice.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So anyone you disagree with is a douche? Do you automatically call people who don't like the same movie or restaurant meal a douche?

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some of us would thank him for "spawning" them. At least we got some views counter to the networks, the NYT and Wash Post.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You mean, like "global warming is a hoax" and the "theory of intlelligent design" kinda counter-views?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

And AWAY we go!

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

C'mon. Whether you agreed with him or not, every time you heard him speak, did he or did he not sound like he had a board up his ass? That qualifies as douche. Doesn't mean he wasn't an intelligent douche.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Back on track.

I was a huge fan of Buckley when I was in high school in the mid 60's--I think it was his wit and erudition more than his actual philosophy that attracted me.

By the late 60's I was pretty much sick of listening to him and the famous debate with Gore Vidal pretty much ended my fandom when he called Vidal a "queer" on national tv. Of course, Vidal deserved it--he had called Buckley a crypto-nazi (or fascist, can't remember). Still, he started to become a caricature of himself.

Unfortunately, his legacy seems to have culminated in Fredo who I doubt has read as many books in his lifetime as Buckley wrote.

RIP.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Okay, so we're changing gears: someone whose speech pattern, inflection, tone of voice, etc., makes him a douche if you don't like it? Are people who stutter douches? People who talk slow? Fast?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No, more like "not everyone who is a conservative is evil," or "people who work hard should live better than people who won't work." That sort of thing.

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

The clip is pretty hilarious:

Draft saved Draft deleted