1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Tupac Amaru Shakur

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Still a Bulls fan, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

His name, I shit you not, is Cluck-U Pac.

2. clubber, i listened to biggie. he was way overrated. probably doesn't even crack my top 10... too inconsistent...

when he was alive, pac never put out a song that made you want to "fast forward." that's old school for those of you who don't remember listening to music on casette tapes..... biggie would have 3 or 4 nice songs per album...

3. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

I think Pac is better than Biggie, too. I'm just taking issues with the songs you choose to epitomize the man's work.

That's like me saying "That Jason Whitlock sure is a medoicre columnist" and quoting your posts from SportsJournalists.com.

I was just giving you the real shit.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't know why, but one of the radio stations here has been playing "Juicy" a lot. I've heard it at least once a day for about the past two weeks. And I don't listen to the radio that much.

5. Clubber_Slang

Since a lot of people have probably never heard this song:

2pac - Pain
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/1uwsq0

Ignore that dude rapping in the middle. Wish I could just slice him out of there. If this song sounds familiar, it's becuase it's the song at the end of the credits of "Above the Rim." However, it was never on the CD version of the soundtrack, only the tape. So it's like an analog-era gem. Before the mp3 crazy was insanely sought after by Tupac fans.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No mention of Brenda's Got a Baby?

7. Clubber_Slang

8. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'm about to burn my Pac greatest hits, and I'm making a last-minute switch - removing the newer "Ghetto Gospel" with Elton John in favor of "Smoke Weed All Day." A lot of people haven't even heard of the song, but it's excellent IMHO.

I was absolutely floored at the number of Pac t-shirts I saw walking to my first class this morning. And there aren't even that many students on campus at 7:30 a.m.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

If they had rapped about things uplifting (and at times they did with songs like "Dear Momma") all the time, they would have had a pop culture impact totaling exactly ZERO. Art imitates life more than life imitates art.

And most great poetry (or at the very least a vast amount of great poetry), which is exactly what this is, is conceived out of hurt, depression, confusion, pain and trouble dealing with life: Tupac, Edgar Allen Poe, Eminem, Walt Whitman, Shakespeare (did it all) and the list goes on. Yes, you can counter with some more uplifiting poets like Frost or Maya Angelou, and they all have their place, but pop culture and world influence in poetry and writing has been more greatly driven by words of men (and women) with tortured souls who wrote tortured words.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sigh....he was thug rapper with multiple arrests who wrote mysogonist, violent lyrics. Get over it. A hero he ain't. And if you think he was anything more than an entertainer, you need to get a life. And I say this to anyone who glamorizes Lennon, Elvis, Morrison or Joplin the same way.

They weren't presidents, kings, queens, popes or saints. They were musicians who died, some by their own hand or because of their lifestyle (drugs, alcohol, etc.). If they meant something special to your youth fine. If their music touched a life or two fine. But let's not go declaring national holidays or minting quarters.

11. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I've read some ridiculous posts. That might take the cake.

12. Clubber_Slang

Who did that? We were quoting lyrics and talking about favorite songs. Oh, the horror.
    Me think you're wound a little too tight, buddy.

Draft saved Draft deleted