1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Toomers Corner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With great sadness the SJ family comes together to express their condolence for the untimely passing off Toomers Corner. Roll Tide Toomer Roll Tide.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It died doing what it loved - serving as shade for a bunch of hicks and inbreds.

RIP

3. 5RunHomer

5RunHomer New Member

As an Auburn graduate, I abhor the man that did this. Coming from that family of alumni, I'd like to see Updike strung up by the very trees he poisoned, but as a somewhat reasonable man he should receive a number of years in jail. I'm not a fan of judges making an example out of a defendant because something about it seems unfair, but this case may be the exception. A clear message should be sent that actions like this will not be tolerated. Fanatical fandom cannot be taken to the next level of outright destruction.

Getting to my point, you can make all the hick jokes you'd like because let's face it, the state of Alabama brings much of it on itself. But to lend some personal insight, those trees on the corner of Magnolia Ave. and College St. are Auburn University. I won't wax philosophical like George Will, but those trees and that corner of the university serve as a link to the past. As the shops downtown have changed and the students have come and gone, those oak trees have remained for more than a century. As all those who have come to Auburn over the past few days and will continue to do so, they give testimony to the impact a tradition can have on a university. Texas A&M has their bonfire, Ohio State dots the "i" and Auburn fans meet up at Toomer's after the big game. Young and old, graduate and undergraduate, hick or scholar, we all gather and coalesce as the "Auburn family" we purport ourselves to be. If Jordan-Hare is our cathedral, Toomer's is the Sunday - or make that Saturday - restaurant we went to with our parents and now take our families. It's a part of who we are and will be greatly missed.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think it's awfully nice for Auburn to have named a corner after a former Giants wide receiver. :)

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Autopsy showed that both trees had massive toomers.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Bad week for trees - the tree used as the National Christmas tree was blown down by high winds.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Somebody watched PTI yesterday.

8. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I wonder how many trees were killed to make all that toilet paper they use.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Heaven needed a couple of oldass trees?

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Maybe it's an SEC thing ... like all the dead UGAs?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Toomer's Corner was great in the Client.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Regardless of which side you're on, this has certainly brought out the tree-huggers. The only thing that would have created more uproar is if Auburn's mascot had been a baby seal.

Draft saved Draft deleted