1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P., Tom Borrelli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Nov 10, 2008.

1. vivbernstein

vivbernstein Member

I'll never forget the first time Tom Borrelli made me cry.

It was back at the start of my career in Binghamton, NY, and I was deep into an exasperating argument with sports editor Charlie Jaworski in the middle of the newsroom floor. In other words, a typical day in Binghamton. Right in the middle of the battle, as angry as I was, I looked up for a moment to see Ox - that's what everyone called Tom - sitting nearby. He tilted his head ever so slightly and gave me a little smile.

He knew exactly what he was doing.

That one look was all it took. The anger was gone in an instant, replaced by an uncontrollable urge to laugh. But I didn't dare burst out in the middle of an argument with my boss. So I fought it as hard as I could. I turned bright red. I put my hand over my mouth to stop myself from letting loose, pretending to cough. I did everything I could to avoid laughing out loud in Jaworski's face. Instead, tears welled up in my eyes and I quickly ran to the bathroom.

I'll bet all these years later Charlie Jaworski still thinks he made me cry. Sorry, Charlie. It was Ox all along.

Today was the second time Ox made me cry. RIP, old friend.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just terrible. RIP.

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

How terribly sad.

RIP...

4. Ron Matthews

Ron Matthews New Member

I just received this news today, and it has hit me hard. It has been nearly 20 years since I worked with Ox, but I still recite to anybody who will listen our many nights and editions together at the Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin.

This guy was gold. He was into breakout boxes and charts before they became standard. He was meticulous in keeping stats and making sure they were right. He was there to calm down a young, energetic guy he immediately named 'Corky' from the West Coast struggling to meet intense East Coast deadlines. He was a tremendous friend and mentor.

Viv has done a great job sharing one anecdote. For those of us lucky enough to work with Ox, we know the list is long. I'm smiling now, thinking of his hijinks (Kevin Stevens: did you want quadruple mayo on your Whopper?), his commitment to the product and his ability to make us all laugh when we wanted to scream. But inside I'm numb.

Rest in peace, my friend. And Karen, know that our thoughts are with you.

Ron Matthews
    rmatthews@thunder-nba.com

5. There is a short story in this morning's Bluefield (W.Va-Va.) Daily Telegraph on Tom.
    States he was the sports editor there about 30 years ago.. He would have been about 21?
    His first job maybe?
    Also said his wife, Karen worked there as a sportswriter? Did they meet there?

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

7. JimmyOlson

JimmyOlson Member

Draft saved Draft deleted