1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Robert Schimmel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had one of his CDs back in the day. Really funny stuff.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Liver transplant. I know from following his Facebook page that he had a friend who agreed to be a living donor ( I guess they can cut out part of the liver and tranplant it) but the matching tests had just turned out negative the night before the car accident.

He posted this ...
    ... at 1 in the morning (Phoenix time) on Aug. 26.

Keeping his sense of humor, he then posted this ...
    ...a few minutes after that. The accident took place about 16 hours later.

I don't know if it was a manager or if he himself was able to post, but two days after the accident this was posted:

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

One of the funniest human beings on the planet and one of the most talented people to ever drop an F-bomb. Period.

There are few comedians I've listened to in a car where I've had to pull over the car because I'm gasping for air and afraid I'm going to drive into something or someone. Schimmel is on that list. Damn, was he a funny guy.

I had the pleasure of seeing Schimmel live twice: once on the second date with the eventual Mrs. Birdscribe, where we had front-row seats at a comedy club in Newport Beach. Fortunately, Schimmel abused the folks next to us; he was notorious for locking in and abusing those in the front row.

The second time was six years ago at the Ontario Improv. This was after Schimmel had treatment for prostate cancer, which was a part of his routine at that point. Only a comedian in Schimmel's class and talent level could make prostate cancer funny.

Afterward, he went to the lobby and sold signed copies of his "Res-Erection" CD. I bought one and chatted with him briefly. He could not have been nicer.

RIP to one of the talented originals, someone who provoked tears of laughter too many times to count.

5. Robert Schimmel was an inspiration of mine. When I sober up in the morning, I'll post a proper obit.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Schimmel was a favorite of Bad Guy Zero, which is how I heard of him. I didn't find him as funny as BGZ did, but still sad anytime anyone dies before their time.

7. If anyone's in the car today, RawDog comedy on XM (channel 150) is playing almost exclusively his stuff.

Loved Schimmel. The thing I like about him is that a lot of his stories were about real life. He lived a rough life in terms of a lot of the shit he had to deal with, and he found a way to laugh about it.

8. Yep. My favorite Schimmel joke is. "My daughter came up to me the other day and said 'Dad, my boyfriend and I have been talking about having sex and what it would be like to go all the way. I told her, 'Honey, why don't you bring him over and then I'll fuck him first. Then he won't have to wonder what it's like to go all the way.'"

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm guessing you have issues as well. It's a wild guess based on previous threads.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They had a really touching tribute on Stern today. It's rare when you can hear sadness in Howard's voice about someone, but you definitely heard it today. They had a special tonight as well that was really well done and they interviewed his family and some comedians who said that Schimmel gave them their break (Eddie Brill for one, who is pretty well-known in comedy circles and I believe works for Letterman now).

My favorite Schimmel line.

"Evander Holyfield turned down $50 million to fight Mike Tyson. For $50 million I would suck Mike Tyson's dick in front of my parents."

RIP.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Heard it today, Mizzou. It was excellent. The story about how they almost did a pilot together was interesting. And I didn't realize his second wife beat him.

He had another one along the lines of, "Sea World says the dolphins are in their natural habitat. Do they have a lot of flaming hoops in the ocean?"

That was as clean as he got.

Draft saved Draft deleted