1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. N-Word

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flash

Flash Guest

They're trying to keep us down.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes - why stereo type the whiite guy and assume he is too slow to play defense or can't jump high enough to get rebounds. If he is good enough at end of game he should be used at start.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well white guys are too slow to play defense and as Wesley Snipes and Woody Harrelson so wonderfully taught us WHITE MEN CAN'T JUMP high enough to rebound, so what's the problem?

Hey like I've said many times, stereotypes are only funny (and or hurtful depending on how thin your skin is) if there is a high degree of truth to them......

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We got a good laugh out of it.

But it is true that you cannot gripe about one and not look at the converse and shrug it off as OK.

If I were to say 6-3 white QB you would think pocket passer with a cannon arm. If I were to say 6-3 black QB you would think scrambler.

If I were to say white safety and DB on the same side of the field, you would think throw deep.

A white running back is thought of as a plow horse runner, where a black running back will make you miss.

I can go on and on.

Natural athlete

Good head for the game

Motivation problems

Is it wrong to think this way?

How many white HOF running backs or DBs have made it into the HOF in the past 20 years? There is a trend.

Is it right to make note of the trend?

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Uh, no. Maybe he can't create his own shot, can't handle the ball, commits too many turnovers, can't play defense, doesn't play smart, etc. Maybe all he can do is shoot coming off screens, that's it. At the start of the game, I want my best (well-rounded) players on the court.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It isn't wrong. Again, stereotypes generally become stereotypes because (in most cases) there is a high degree of truth to them. And the outrage that some of these instances cause is laughable.

But this is where we are in this country -- I think we are for the most part beyond lunatic fringe-like racism and now we are in the process of trying to break through these stereotypes, these filters we all see each other with and the lingering prejudices we all struggle with -- once we break through that, we'll have a society where color truly doesn't matter.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it though.

7. boots

boots New Member

This is Amerikkka. The N-word will live on. How unfortunate it is.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Most predictable post. It was only a matter of when.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

So you're saying the kid's race didn't matter?

10. boots

boots New Member

Predictable, no. Realistic, yes.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, it really was that predictable.

12. boots

boots New Member

How so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.