1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Casty, I'm not so sure the Mets are destined to lose in the first round or even in the NL bracket of the draw. Yes, losing Pedro is a blow, but at this point, only a glancing one. If starting pitching were the be-all and end-all of the postseason, the Braves would have a few more gonfalons dangling in the breeze at Turner Field.
    Way back in the mid-90s, I did a survey of EVERY post-season from 1903 on. A regular season record 10 games or better than an opponent's is a significant predictor of how a playoff series comes out, way over 80 percent.
    Of course, the '88 Mets were one of the prime exceptions to that rule.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

There's more to the game than starting pitching, folks. Otherwise the Braves would have about a half dozen World Series titles. I don't know what's going to happen to the Mets in the playoffs, but I do know that they formula they've used to dominate the NL all season hasn't changed a bit. They have speed, power, and a superior bullpen. I don't think they're going down in the first round.

Casty, you're right that the rotation needs to look very different next year, and it will, with Pelfrey, Humber and Perez in the pipeline and Zito and Dontrelle among the free agent and trade possibilities. It would only take a few moves for the Mets to be scary good next year. But for right now, they are still the most complete package the NL has to offer.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And so it goes. That's why they play the games. And the 1988 Mets (and A's) are great examples (thanks for reminding me, Michael) of the craziness that can happen in postseason. The Dodgers were clearly no match for the Mets or A's that year, yet we know what happened. Let's keep that in mind as we watch these playoffs.

4. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

At least mathematically (though not likely), the Padres could not even make the postseason, if the Dodgers and Phils both sweep this weekend and San Diego falls apart. Then LA would play Houston (or St. Louis, but most likely the Astros) instead of the Mets. If I'm Grady Little, I would much rather face New York in the first round than Houston.

5. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Now I'll admit this prediction was straight from Page 1 of "Fanboys for Dummies" but I only need two more victories out of them!

6. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Shh. Don't tell anyone.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

No wonder BYH is hiding.

8. CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma New Member

Eat it, bitch.

9. CaptainCharisma

CaptainCharisma New Member

Nice call, asshole. What's it like having Jeter's cock in your mouth all day and night?

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, he's in hiding because that's the punishment for losing a bet to Almost Famous, which is really inexcusable.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

He will not, however, be allowed to hide when the Mets beat the Cards to reach the World Series.
    He'll have to be here and take that punishment like the wimpy little dickhead he is.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Are you talking about BYH or Mr. Warmth, Major Charm or whatever his name is....

Draft saved Draft deleted