1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Mets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 28, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hey, BYDickhead says they're going out in the first round. I say they're going to the World Series.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I think this is the best thing that could've happen to the Mets. Pedro hasn't been good since the All-Star break and they went on their best runs in the second half with him on the bench.

They will not lose a playoff game until Game 3 of the NLCS and even then they will win it in five. This was the best wake up call for this team.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon Noles, the great baseball genius BYH has declared them dead, dead, dead...one and done.

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I too am of the view that this news happening today is far preferable for the Mets than the alternative, which seemed to be trotting out a gimpy Pedro for Game 3 just because he's Pedro. If Pedro gave up five runs in one inning in Game 3 and limped off the mound, which seemed quite possible, the air would have completely gone out of the Mets' sails (and the bullpen would have been abused). Now at least they have a few days to steel themselves that Pedro isn't going to save them and the rest of the guys need to get it done on their own. Ideally, it will be a rallying point -- win it for Pedro. Maybe get him a new midget to sit with him on the bench.

Obviously it would be preferable to have a fully healthy Pedro, but that 7 train had already left Willets Point.

Full disclosure: I'm a lifelong Mets fan, so I may just be trying to convince myself.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

As a lifelong Mets fan, I hope they're not dead. But, at 12:04 A.M., Friday, September 29th, I don't have a good feeling in the pit of my stomach.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You'll be fine

a staff of Glavine. Perez, El duque and tracsel are the best in league even with out pedro

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . an utter indictment of the NL . . .

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You know, this might be a blessing for the Mets. When I say "this," I mean learning one way or another what to do about Pedro.

Imagine had they trotted him out to start a key Game 4. Imagine had they decided not to start him, and the decision to do so came under scrutiny. At least now they know, they can plan accordingly and move on.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I don't play the same games my friends BYH and spnited like to play with each other -- and I don't resort to name-calling of any kind. But as a sober observer, I believe the Mets will be ousted in the first round, and I posted that before Pedro's demise, if you want to go back and check. However, I don't agree with those calling them frauds. They have had a great season, and one, I may remind you all, that few of us predicted if you can send your memories back to April when the Mets' rotation consisted of Victor Zamrano, Brian Bannister, Jose Lima and Alay Soler. I myself picked the Phillies to win the division.

With that in mind, I can't call the Mets frauds. They did more than most of us expected if you can be honest about your thoughts coming out of spring training. If they fail in the playoffs, so be it. Omar will have to replenish the starting rotation and hope for better things in 2007.

And that's just an honest opinion, thank you very much.

10. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

the padres have the best starters in the NL with peavy, young, williams, hensley and wells.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Darn, you beat me to it. People look at Peavy's overall numbers and don't realize how good he has been down the stretch. He was one of the best starting pitchers in baseball in 2004 and 2005, then was lousy until August. He was 4-10 with a 5.15 ERA July 21 and now he is 11-14 with a 4.09 ERA.

Young has been outstanding all year, better than anybody the Mets can throw out there. Williams, Hensley and Wells are all at least decent options.

The bullpen is also a match for the Mets with Scott Linebrink and Cla Meredith setting up Trevor Hoffman.

And with the Astros only a half game out, it's time to start looking at NL teams having to face Oswalt, Clemens and Pettitte in a short series.

It looks like the Mets are going to get the Dodgers, whose starting pitching is just as much of a mess. But LA can pile up the runs, too, especially since they got healthy and Furcal started tearing it up atop the order in the 2nd half of the season.

I think the Mets still have a shot because of their offense and their bullpen, not to mention the erratic offenses the Padres and Astros have to go with their strong starting pitching.

But they are far from a sure thing.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Amazing that Trachsel was won two-thirds of his decisions this year. The guy's the next Jamie Moyer, with maybe half the talent.

That said, do Mets fans now consider Pedro's lottery-like contract obscene? Mike and Mike were debating it this morning ... they both leaned toward the side of it still being a good deal for the Mets, since Beltran, etc., wouldn't have come there if Pedro hadn't. Don't know if I buy that; Beltran would've still gone there if the coin still were there. Hope you Mets fans enjoy paying $26 mil to see Grandpa Pedro sit on the bench for two more years.

Draft saved Draft deleted