1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P., Lou Saban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Dignan

Dignan Guest

No kidding ... it took O.J. four years to rush for 1,000 yards. Only know this because I did a book report on O.J. in 1981. (oops)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's been everywhere man, he's been everywhere. One of those people that made me an avid reader of the Transactions section in the agate.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I had a little experience with him during his foray into Arena League Football, about 15 years ago or so.

What a character.

RIP

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So the old-timers who slip up and call Nick "Lou" are only half-wrong.

I always wondered the relationship, but never looked it up.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A great read on Saban, circa 1983.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120713/index.htm

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I covered a Western Illinois game last fall where they celebrated the 50th anniversary of one of their best teams, one that Saban coached. Couldn't believe Lou Saban was there, but he was.

RIP.

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That is him. Think you left out a word (or they bleeped it), though. ;)

8. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Whitey finally got him.

RIP

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Apparently, he gave Steinbrenner his first ever jobs in sports as an assistant at Northwestern in the 1950s. They remained friends for years which is why -- if you read his long obit -- he ended up with the Yankees in the 1980s. I knew a guy who played football for him at Canton Tech in the 1990s. Said Saban was always focused on the team and winning. They'd try to get him to talk about the Bills, and he wouldn't. Not out of meanness, but Saban didn't want to waste the kids' time. Sportswriters, though, gosh he was a quote machine about the old days.

Draft saved Draft deleted