1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P., Lou Saban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Mar 29, 2009.

1. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Longtime football coach Lou Saban dies at 87

Sad news in quite a few football towns this morning.

Add: longer AP obit

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Just saw him last week on NFL Films' Lost Treasures.
    "You're gonna get it done. You're gonna get it done. What's more...you've GOTTA get it done!"

3. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Wish he was on the Wall of Fame in Orchard Park -- he certainly should have been, after delivering back-to-back AFL titles -- but Mr. Wilson could never get past the fact that Saban walked out on him twice.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A distant cousin, I believe, of Mr. Sweetness in Tuscaloosa. ;)

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That is correct. Nick's middle name is Lou.

6. Without Saban arriving before them and cleaning up a disaster, Howard Schnellenberger and Jimmy Johnson's legacies would be considerably different.

7. part-timer

part-timer Member

I had the privledge of working with Lou at one of his many stops. While it was brief (most of his stops were, of course), he was great to work with. I stayed in touch with him for a couple of years after he left and was always concerned about my well being, both professionally and personally.

RIP, Lou, and thank you.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A wisecrack basically cost him that job. After his first season, three Miami players threw a young Jewish man into a lake near campus. Saban's response: ""Getting thrown in the lake? Sounds like fun to me." He resigned after the following season.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

He gave O.J. the damn ball, and for that I will be forever grateful. RIP.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Roomed with his nephew in college.. actually, think it was a nephew twice removed... Saban family is indeed extended...
    RIP...

11. pallister

pallister Guest

As a professional wanderer myself, I always admired Saban. RIP.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I think Heaven needed someone to take over its head-coaching position, and Saban figured "Well, I've coached just about everywhere else..."

RIP, and, I'm not sure, but is he the one in that classic NFL Films clip going "They're killing me out there, Whitey, they're killing me."?

Draft saved Draft deleted