1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. John Mackey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jul 7, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A great, great player.
  2. Drip

Drip Active Member

He set the bar. RIP
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Greatest tight end ever. Another childhood hero gone. RIP.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He had a really tough time at the end. I read one story where he didn't even recognize his wife. Very sad. But at least, we can look back on his great accomplishments.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

nothing to add here. the man was a MAN. he and bavaro are the two toughest-to-bring-down tight ends i've EVER seen. if there was a stat calculating broken tackles-after-catch, he'd be the leader. first guy i can recall who turned 'tight end' into a potentially-exciting position.

what became of mackey in his final years was both heart-breaking and horrifying. he and jim otto are the poster boys representing the cause of retired NFL players, whose post-career physical woes have been neglected are neglected by owners and the nflpa forever.

i pray that when the current cba mess comes to an end the resolution includes better benefits for the battered, retired soldiers who have their forefathers to thank for the life they're enjoying now.
  6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

First time I saw Marvin Harrison with the Colts I thought, "WTF? Mackey's number is not retired?"
  7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Sadly, I read an article a few years ago where that confused the heck out of Mackey. He saw 88 and thought it was footage of him and then got really mad over the number being used.
  8. A pioneer on and off the field.

Like Jerry Rice at WR, there is no debating Mackey's status as the best TE in NFL history.
  9. lantaur

lantaur Active Member

My memory might not be perfect on this one, but I was at a Syracuse game years back when Mackey was there - it might have been when they were retiring his number or putting him in the school Hall of Fame.

Anyway, I remember him being introduced and then running down the field. It was a bittersweet moment, really. The fans cheered ... but I think he was already going through his health problems, so it might have been a case of the guy just being on a football field and being confused so he did what he he always did: He ran downfield.
  10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Mackey became the standard for tight ends to come. Seeing his highlights are just amazing. R.I.P. big guy.
  11. Liut

Liut Active Member

Echo the sentiments of greatness and sadness above. RIP.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nobody should have had to live the hell he went through for his final 10-15 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted