1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Joe Barbera

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 18, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One half of the Hanna-Barbera team that brought us the Flintstones, Scooby-Doo. Hanna-Barbera was often considered the fast food of animation, but their impact on popular culture is hard to deny.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_en_ot/obit_barbera

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Just think, without Joe Barbera, classic "Harvery Birdman, Attorney at Law" episodes would never have happened.

Haha, sad. A great man.

3. boots

boots New Member

I knew he was up there but I didn't know he was 95. It would appear that he had a fulfilling life. He kept me entertained for hours.

4. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

Barbera wrote a pretty interesting biography back in the late 1980's, I believe. My favorite anecdote in the book came, from all people, Michael Jackson. He sent over a picture of himself, and autographed it something like this: "To Joe Barbera, whose wonderful characters were my only friends during my childhood. Thanks and best wishes, Michael Jackson." A psychology class could have a lot of fun with that one.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I loved Tom & Jerry as a kid.

RIP :'(

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn. Those Saturday morning cartoons, and the ones before shuffling off to grade school were the best things that could happen to a kid and to a kid "at heart."

God speed Mr. Barbera. Your legacy lives on everyday for the next youngster who watches your creations. :(

7. boots

boots New Member

As a kid? Hell I still watch the reruns on cable!

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

A real downer. Those cartoons were ancient when I was a kid, and my kids are enjoying them now. RIP, Joe.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

More sad news, as a minor hijack. Chris Hayward, one of the writers for Rocky and Bullwinkle passed away as well, at age 81 on Nov. 20th. He reinvented the Dudley Do-Right character and wrote and developed The Munsters and My Mother the Car.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061218/ap_en_tv/obit_hayward_3

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Maybe in his honor, Bubbler will let his kids watch three minutes of Tom and Jerry

11. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Sad news, and on a personal note this is really eerie. Looking at the time this thread was started, it would have been roughly the same time as my dinner was served tonight when I was out with family. The rack of ribs I ordered was so huge, I joked that it looked like they got it from the Flintstones.

This is right up there with the time in junior high where I had popcorn with my lunch (a really rare occurrence) and made an off-handed remark about Orville Redenbacher. I read in the paper the next day that Redenbacher had died. He was pronounced dead at almost the exact same time I was eating my lunch and made the comment about him.

12. XXXX

XXXX Member

how about next meal you make a joke about al qaeda. think of all the peace you would bring to the world!!!!!!!!! maybe time magazine would name you person of the ye..... oh wait, they already did.

on a serious note, do any of you guys know where some hannah barbera cartoons are still playing, because i can never find any.

Draft saved Draft deleted