1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Jim Ringo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Nov 19, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

One of the rocks of the Lombardi Packers dead at age 75.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=aQx7Lda0RhWU&refer=us

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

When I think of Jim Ringo, I think of a great story I read once about Lombardi.

Seems Ringo decided to hire an agent to negotiate his next contract, a rather novel concept in the 1960s and one not exactly embraced by NFL executives.

Agent comes into Lombardi's office and introduces himself as Jim Ringo's agent, Lombardi shakes hands with him and asks if he could wait outside the office for a few minutes as Lombardi has an important phone call to make.

A few minutes later, Lombardi calls agent into his office and sits him down. Lombardi asks "what was it again you wanted to talk about?" The agent restates the whole spiel about him being Ringo's rep and wanting to negotiate a contract for his client. Lombardi says "Oh, there must be a misunderstanding. You see, Ringo isn't on our team anymore."

It turns out when the agent was out in the waiting room, Lombardi called the Eagles and quickly engineered a trade sending Ringo to Philadelphia.

3. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I read the same story in Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay."

But I recall seeing something not long ago that says a lot of the agent/trade his ass story was urban legend.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Didn't he coach the Buffalo Bills once in the 70s, too?

5. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Ringo was afflicted with Alzheimer's, likely the result of head trauma from his playing days. He was at an assisted-living facility in Virginia Beach for over a year. I spoke to his wife for a story about the plight of ex-NFL players in July.

RIP

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yep. It was during their late O.J. decline period.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

RE: I read the same story in Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay."

But I recall seeing something not long ago that says a lot of the agent/trade his ass story was urban legend.

In David Maraniss' biography on Vince Lombardi, he wrote that Ringo did bring in an agent, but also was hoping to get traded to Philly because it was his hometown. Lombardi accommodated him on his trade request, but had to quickly train Ken Bowman on the art of snapping the ball. Maraniss also wrote that Lombardi never disputed the story, because he wanted it to serve as a lesson for other players.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Ringo was a Jersey guy from Philipsburg, not Philadelphia.

9. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

good coverage in Easton Express

http://www.pennlive.com/expresstimes/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-6/119553524394050.xml&coll=2&thispage=1

http://www.pennlive.com/expresstimes/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/119553527594050.xml&coll=2

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

My bad on the hometown. I was trying to remember what Maraniss wrote. I meant to say closer to his hometown.

11. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Ringo was the offensive line coach when Lou Saban bailed out on Ralph Wilson (again) in October 1976. He finished that year as the interim HC, went 3-11 in '77, and was fired five days after the season ended.

Thoughts and prayers to Judy, family, and friends, and to everyone dealing with the scourge of Alzheimer's.

Draft saved Draft deleted