1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Jim McKay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Jun 7, 2008.

1. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

ESPN is running this with a Breaking News tag on their 10:00 a.m. Sportscenter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3430672
    Truly a legend. Rest well, Mr. McKay.

2. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

When I was a kid, a weekend wasn't complete without watching Wide World of Sports.

Condolences and prayers to his family.

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

A giant of sports TV.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Loved watching him do the British Open. And watching the clips of him during the Munich Olympics hostage crisis gives me chills. He was a pro's pro.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Sad, sad news. RIP to one of the best.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Active Member

I woke up five minutes ago and flipped on the t.v. to see what's going on.

I'm beyond stunned right now. He was ABC Sports and the Olympics to me. No one could go all around the world, cover sports, and make you feel that you were there sitting next to him as it happens.

The Olympics without thinking of Jim McKay is going to put a lump in my throat in August.

Thank you Jim.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

When you're on the main SportsJournalists.com board -- where it shows all the topics, do you ever casually glance over the headlines?

Then, you see a thread topic like, "RIP Jim McKay," you almost rub your eyes and think, "Wait! Did I just read that?! No way!?!"
    ----------
    Sad to hear. Condolences to his family, friends, and the sports journalism world.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Classy, classy guy.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh, that guy....

Yeah, I liked him.

I figured I would come on this thread and read a lot of one liners like....

"What do you think about the execution of your offense?"

"I'm all for it...."

10. markvid

markvid Guest

It's very rare that one of these threads makes me sad.
    This one does. A big part of my youth was spent watching him, Cosell, et al.
    RIP.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Very sad news indeed. The Wide World opening still gives me chills the way Jim read it... he nailed every bit of the emotion, partially thanks to the way ABC edited the photos. Poor Vinko Bogataj, having to go down that mountain every week. :)

Seriously, RIP. Huge loss for sports and for journalism.

12. pseudo

pseudo Active Member

Like you, hearing "They're all gone" will send a chill down my spine for as long as I live. In Bob Ley's well-done retrospective, he mentioned the message Walter Cronkite sent McKay shortly thereafter: "Dear Jim, today you honored yourself, your network and your profession."

My condolences to his family and friends ... and to the field of journalism, which has lost one of its very best.

Draft saved Draft deleted