1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Hot Rod Hundley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 27, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Former announcer?
    Former NBA All-Star!

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Before going to the Jazz, he was Al McCoy's color man in Phoenix. One time, McCoy said in his book, he mentioned a player's favorite shot and asked Hundley what his was. "Cutty and water," he replied, without batting an eye.

RIP.

Songbird likes this.
  4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

On scratchy airwaves that traveled up from New Orkeans to reach my bedroom in central Mississippi, Hot Rod used to gimme my radio fix of Jazz basketball with Pistol Pete leading the way and Leonard "Truck" Robinson, James McElroy, Ron Behagen, Aaron James of Grambling, Rich Kelley, a handful of colorful coaches, and so many more people familiar to me because of Rod's calls.
    One of Hundley's signature statements was "James Mac-L-Roy ... from the parking lot! ... good if it goes ... It's gone!!!"

RIP Hot Rod.

Liut likes this.
  5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

First of all, Blitz, thanks for recalling those memories. I recognize all the names.

Hot Rod was a damn good basketball play-by-play announcer. He painted tremendous word pictures on radio and continued to do that on simulcasts. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of a former professional athlete turned radio p-by-p announcer in his own sport ever being as good as Hot Rod.

RIP Mr. Hundley.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Back in the late 1970s he was one of the main PbP guys for The NBA on CBS.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I thought I remembered a quote from Hot Rod 25 or 30 years ago. Someone asked him what his top memory from his playing days was and he said something to the effect of, "The night Elgin Baylor and I combined to score 75 points."

(Baylor had 73.)

8. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I am old as I remember him fondly as Chick Hern's color man. RIP.

9. I think they got it right. He's better known as an announcer.
    He was a very good college player and a pretty good NBA player. He was a longtime, star play-by-play guy. Won the Gowdy Award.
    Lot of great stories and quips attributed to Hot Rod. Great story teller and personality.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

He worked alongside Dick Enberg on the national telecast of one of the more memorable college games of my youth -- Notre Dame's comeback victory over UCLA in 1974 to end that long winning streak. Saw a clip of it on YouTube a few days ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted