1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Grant Tinker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Right than first" even in '77? Good thing they didn't have Twitter then.

2. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Remember Billie Newman got so involved with a story that she married the guy she was writing about, who happened to be a baseball player?

I was trying to think of examples of crossovers from the Mary Tyler Moore show version of Lou Grant and came up with only one -- when Billie covered a political campaign and met up with a correspondent who had a fling with Lou during an MTM episode and happened to be Mary's Aunt Flo. Here's a link (the episode also features a pre-Magnum, PI John Hillerman):

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I like Lou Grant best in "Rich Man, Poor Man." Lou didn't take shit from anyone there.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Headed NBC from 1981-1986. Brandon Tartikoff and Warren Littlefield were his programmers. Damn, NBC was red-hot back then.

5. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, he took over for Fred Silverman at the network's low point. The comeback started under his tenure when the network practiced patience with shows like "Hill Street Blues" and "Cheers" despite their low initial ratings, which paid off big time down the line.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Sure beat shows like "Supertrain" and "Pink Lady and Jeff." :rolleyes:

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Obit should have ended with "Services are at 8ET/7CT. Let's all be there!"

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    Michael_ Gee and HanSenSE like this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I thought she looked just like one of those '60s cartoons where the prim housewife was drawn without a nose.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, it should have ended with "A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants".

Draft saved Draft deleted