1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. George Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 13, 2010.

1. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Assuming both are there.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Definitely not the greatest. Maybe the most famous of the last 50 years? Turner is famous, but he was famous for things outside of baseball such as TNT and CNN. Steinbrenner's was the Yankees for better or for worse when he wasn't banned.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

George Halas or Al Davis, maybe? And given his ascension to commissioner, you'd have to put Bud Selig in that discussion.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Impactful on sports, for doing something other than spending money to win games? Because if that's the main criteria, how does a Jerry Buss not compare? Or the Rooney family?

Walter O'Malley. Opened the West to baseball.
    Lamar Hunt. Helped establish AFL and later the Super Bowl. Extra points for also being an MLS pioneer in many ways.
    George Young?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

For longevity, perhaps, but not for unique impact. Rozelle's impact on the course of the modern NFL far outstrips that of any one owner. Hunt would be tied with Wilson and Adams and Davis on the AFL angle. And let's see, Steinbrenner showed how to proceed in the brave new world of free agency, how to build a cable television behemoth, etc. I get it, Piotr, you don't like Steinbrenner.

7. Steak Snabler

George Young was president/GM, not owner. The Mara family owned the Giants.
    And I'm murky as to whether or not Branch Rickey ever actually owned the Dodgers. I know he didn't own the Cardinals when he ran that team (Sam Breadon did).

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/90/90cstore.phtml

I loved the Carl's Quick Stop sketch on SNL. Not a Yankees fan, but RIP.

9. dooley_womack1

As an owner, Selig was a cheapskate who lucked into one World Series appearance

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I may have hated his manner as an owner, but I respect the fact that he wanted his team to bring championships to its city. RIP George.

11. Steak Snabler

Well, he was also enough of a consensus-builder to be elected commissioner.

12. dooley_womack1

He did enough of the scut work to be elevated. He wasn't a benighted choice

Draft saved Draft deleted