1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. George Steinbrenner

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Sorry, I thought, well, what one would think seeing it. My bad

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It always makes me even more sad, for some reason. I think it is because I'm reminded of the passage of time when a once energetic, vital celebrity succumbs to old age, whereas I don't have to think about that when someone like Michael Jackson or Kurt Cobain or Heath Ledger dies young.

End of an era today. RIP.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

RIP. One of the great characters in the history of the game. Eventually learned to let his baseball people do the work and his team took off.

Hopefully, he had no encounters with the fans in the elevator on the way up.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Gotta figure that's two canned obits that got used this week by Yankees beat writers.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

New York Times obit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/sports/baseball/14steinbrenner.html?_r=1&hp

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Plowed his fortune back into his club (are you listening, David Glass?) Maybe not so wisely at times, but he did set up an enduring system by leaving Cashman alone. Re-established a franchise that CBS let go to pot. R.I.P.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did Bob Sheppard pass over the weekend so he could announce Steinbrenner's arrival at the Pearly Gates?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Or Willie McGee for Bob Sykes
    Or Fred McGriff, Dave Collins and Mike Morgan for Dale Murray and Tom Dodd
    Or Doug Drabek, Brian Fisher and Logan Easley for Rick Rhoden, Cecilio Guante and Pat Clements
    Or Steve Balboni and Roger Erickson for Duane Dewey and Mike Armstrong
    Or Rickey Henderson for Greg Cadaret, Eric Plunk and Luis Polonia
    Or Dave Winfield for Mike Witt

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

RIP to a stalwart of sports and a man who never allowed money concerns to hinder attempts to win it all, but . . . the media lovefest is already tiresome.

Olney just said Trump's "You're Fired!" is "based on Steinbrenner. What, he invented firing people?

Olney also said Steinbrenner was the greatest owner in sports history. Well, greatest who won while treating many of those around him like crap, sure.

(And no, I don't think he was the greatest. He won a bunch of Series with the NY Yankees. Stop the presses. Great owner, sure. Others have been more impactful overall).

Not every L.A. area outlet had a quality Wooden obit ready, so good for the New Yorkers on being prepared.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Born on the 4th of July, dies on the day of the All-Star game. The man knew how to grab the spotlight.

RIP to one of the greatest figures in the history of American sports.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A friend of mine who is a Yankees fan put it well ... "I never thought I'd be sad to see that man go."

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Rickey and Veeck, perhaps. I can't think of any in any other sport, tho.

Draft saved Draft deleted