1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P., Eddie Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silvershadow1981, Apr 4, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Damn, damn, damn. I heard last evening that they readmitted him back to the hospital. But to wake up to hear this makes me really sad.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Shocking?

I raise a glass to one of the true giants of the game.

3. boots

boots New Member

One of the good things about Coach Eddie Robinson was that he knew how to promote a game. He would arrive in towns early and do countless interviews. Hell, coaches today don't want to come in for game days.
    And he always had a story to tell. He may tell it every year but every year, you'd laugh with him.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Robinson has been in failing health for a while now. Not suprising but a very sad day for America...not just the football world and not just the sports world.

Eddie Robinson through his work, his demeanor and his caring probably did as much as or more than anyone for race relations in this country in the 20th century.

RIP to a truly great human being.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What S-P said ... sad for humanity, not just the sports world.

RIP Coach Robinson. Hope someone names every football-related thing at Grambling for that man. With any luck, Southern and Grambling will have a tribute to him at this year's Bayou Classic.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't see how they couldn't.

I couldn't name you a single player I've ever seen in that game, but I watched that game every year (mostly for halftime) and I knew Eddie Robinson was class. Never met the man, and that's a shame for me.

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

R.I.P.

8. I used to work with a guy who played at Grambling. He talked about Robinson like he was a god. RIP coach.

9. boots

boots New Member

“The best way to enjoy life in America is to first be an American, and I don’t think you have to be white to do so,”
    Eddie Robinson

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

How many of you mentioned this to a co-worker who said he had no idea who Eddie Robinson was?
    Then you named some of his former players and drew more blank stares?

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Someone here earlier today couldn't place a famous photo of Dealey Plaza and the grassy knoll seconds after JFK's shooting.

Here's how revered Coach Rob is in Louisiana: He will lie in state Monday in the rotunda of the State Capitol in Baton Rouge from 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. A memorial service will be held in the rotunda at 5 p.m.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted