1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P., Eddie Robinson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by silvershadow1981, Apr 4, 2007.

1. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2825016

2. In memory of the coach:

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Mike & Mike were covering this extensively at 7:30. Shocking news to wake up, too.
    RIP Coach.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Damn. I just put in briefs last night that he had been hospitalized.

RIP to a legend.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What a legend! And a class act.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I miss the days when a televised saturday afternoon Grambling game mattered. I never really bothered to ask why. Just knew I would rather watch an Eddie Robinson coached team than the steady diet of Notre Dame shoved down my throat every week.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That's terrible news. RIP, coach.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

One of college football's all-time and civil rights' all-time greats.

RIP Eddie.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He conceded in the mid 1990s, soon before he retired, he feared hanging it up and dying soon after, like Bear Bryant. Robinson retired in 1997 and lived another decade, but Alzheimer's kept it from being golden. Sad.

RIP, Coach Rob. You were a gentleman.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RIP to a great one.

11. boots

boots New Member

Had the honor of covering a few Grambling games. Coach Robinson was a class act he always made sure that wherever Grambling played, there was going going to be a show from the cheerleaders to the band to the players.
    He knew he was better than MANY coaches at the D-1 level but he felt he had to hold the banner up for guys like him who weren't given a chance to move up. He was a regular, until his health failed, at pro coaching clinics. He knew how to motivate and intimidate while being fair-minded.
    Eddie Robinson was Class with a capital C. The late Bear Bryant had the utmost respect for him.

12. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Had a friend from high school who played for a year under Eddie Robinson at Grambling. While he left Grambling, he said that Eddie Robinson was one of the best motivators he ever had as a coach. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted