1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Dolores Hope

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Sep 19, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe for a celebrity couple...

There is a local couple where I live and he's 104 and she's 103. They celebrated their 80th anniversary a couple years ago and the local news covered it like it was the presidential inauguration. They're on the news at least once a month...

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not related, but I was surprised to find out the other day that Ernest Borgnine is still alive. He's 94.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not only is Borgnine still alive, but he's still working. He was nominated for an Emmy for a guest spot on ER about two years ago and was on SNL as recently as last October.

Did Delores Hope have a showbiz career independent of Bob? I just remember her for her pedestrian (to be kind) singing voice on his Christmas specials back in the day ...

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, she did. Steak. She had a nice little singing career before meeting Bob, who repeatedly went to visit her at a nightclub he saw her sing at during one of his first Broadway shows.

I had the privilege to meet Mrs. Hope a few years ago during the golf tournament formerly named after her late husband. Even after he died, she would attend the final round, usually perched in a golf cart alongside the 18th green.

One of the most notable qualities about her was her relentless philanthropy. She helped raise and donate millions to numerous charities, most notably the Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage. She and her husband donated the 80 acres that eventually became the hospital and served as its chairwoman in the 1970s.

RIP to a remarkable woman who was more than just a celebrity wife.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm not clicking this, but does he mention that his right hand is getting a lot of work?

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was way awesome.

I guess I can look forward to living till 142.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Do we know he's right-handed?

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would be more impressed if he could go to his right or his left depending on the opponent and situation.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I learned via SportsJournalists.com that Bob Hope was discovered by Fatty Arbuckle.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

He hasn't worked consistently in decades, but Frank Cady, who played Sam Drucker in "Petticoat Junction," "Green Acres" and "The Beverly Hillbillies," just turned 96 earlier this month.

Draft saved Draft deleted